It's offical. HDDVD is dead. Go buy a Blu Ray player.

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by delorean, Feb 16, 2008.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well to be honest, I am shocked that HD-DVD lost out. However, that being said I wasnt going to make the change over until at least 2010 when prices had dropped and the speeds of recorders (for PCs) became faster and films we cheaper too (well for the ones out now anyway lol). But again give it another 5-10yrs there will be something bigger and better than both Hi-Def TV and Blu-Ray discs then we will see what happens from there...I remember the race between Toshiba and NEC (I believe) over who would release the first ever DVD-ROM drive :biggrin now thats war!!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

by 2010 the next big thing will be in the works, anyone seen the work the japanese are doing on UHDV?

Super Hi-Vision's main specifications:
    • Resolution: 7,680 × 4,320 pixels (16:9) (approximately 33 megapixels)
    • Frame rate: 60 frame/s.
    • Audio: 22.2 channels
      • 9 — above ear level
      • 10 — ear level
      • 3 — below ear level
      • 2 — low frequency effects
    • Bandwidth: 21 GHz frequency band
      • 600 MHz, 500~6600 Mbit/s bandwidth

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. richardw

richardw Nibble Poster

there arnt that many differences between blu-ray & hd-dvd, mainly physical
    eg, the video formats are the same, & not set by toshiba or sony, the audio formats are industry standard
    interactive: blu-ray is java, hd-dvd is an xml based one

so anything on either disc format could just as easily be downloaded, put on a memory stick etc

Certifications: MOS (Master), MMI
    WIP: MCAS, AAT
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Richard, the specs themselves are VERY different, HDDVD was FAR more consumer friendly, the end result doesnt mean much, hi def is hi def is hi def, and lets not get started on bloody java front ends!

the specs of the standard and the fine print around it is what makes this a significant blow for consumers

maybe you can copy a blue ray to a memory stick, but it will be just as illegal as it is now if its not provided by the dvd copyright owner, as you will be in breach of the DMCA

the hd dvd specs had this capability as a mandatory requirement, not an optional requirement

6. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

in the works yes but i heard they where looking more towards 2015 not to mention the cost of you brand new 80" UHDV TV (IMHO 2080p would suffice)

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

I wasn't assuming UHDV would be 'the next' thing mate, i'm sure there will be something else in the works between now and then though

cant have Hollywood loosing all that money while we sit on our existing collections!! :D

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Wasn't a cartridge device being created that had similar specs to UHDV?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

My sentiments exactly. I'll keep the $$$ in my pocket until then! Haha!

The next gen of physical media will need a big push to get folk to adopt from current DVD's. VHS to DVD was different because of the obvious immediate advantages.

HD on the other hand is still in it's infancy but to many poses a smaller advantage than DVD had over VHS. Entertainment media is headed the way of downloads and some form of HD storage. Discs are a waste of space for your music and movies when you can have high quality versions stored on a NAS or something similar. Once the whole rights management situation is sorted out it will pick up in leaps and bounds.

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Microsoft is pretty smart in releasing the HD-DVD drive as an add on. It saved them a lot of money with not incorporating the HD drive into the Xbox360 like PS3 did with blueray and now they can just scrap the HD-DVD drive and concentrate on making a blueray drive instead. Either way, I don't have an HDTV yet, but when I do get one, I'll probably end up getting blueray player and by that time the prices will drop, at least I hope.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

It would appear that Universal is announcing that it is now switching to Blu-Ray.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  12. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

No no no that was not SMART at all
    in fact as mentioned before, it probably had a huge part to play in the HD DVD death!
    The fact that the PS3 sales mean there are millions of Blu ray players in peoples homes could of easily be countered by the fact the Xbox has sold like twice as many systems
    if there were 10s of millions of HD DVDs out there which one do you think would of won?

Studios might be stupid when it comes to copy protection, distribution, etc, but a sales a sale, and if they can sell the more consumer friendly HD DVD because there are more players in homes than Blu Ray.. they will go that way, its simple economics

13. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

this was part of the reason why i chose PS3

1) Blue-Ray
    2) USB Storage
    3) Network Storage
    4) DVD Upscailing
    5) Media Streaming

so even if blue-ray fell on its arse i would still have all the other usefull formats Dvix HD, AVC etc etc

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  14. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

That's a good point I didn't look at it that way. I just thought that Microsoft didn't want to risk investing more money into something that might get obsolete in the future and not attract much interest in the future, hence less sales.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
  15. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

I agree Prof
    and had the product been launched this year then that would make absolute sense, but the fact the 360 is like 2+ years old AND the HD drive has been around about as long, means were far enough back to of not seen the 'death by format' argument, hell the added capacity alone would of meant the Xbox could of continued to use it as media for its games anyway

I've heard rumors they are going to release a blu ray player for xbox, i bloody hope they release an all in one unit though, i mean come on who wants a dvd dongle in the tv cabinet? :)

16. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I heard that too, I think it's in the works, like they are planning it out. From what I've been told my some of my friends who are really in to their xbox's is that Blue ray for xbox is definitely being considered, but no one knows for sure until the big guy him self admits to it. Hopefully they'll come out with something soon.