It's offical. HDDVD is dead. Go buy a Blu Ray player.

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by delorean, Feb 16, 2008.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Toshiba waves the white flag and HDDVD is no more. The format war is over. Blu Ray is the champ. All hail the Sony monopoly! :eek:

LINK

Me? I don't care either way. Physical media is on it's death bed.

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

its been over for a while now :D, now we can concentrate on the real war HD vs DVD

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

There'll be another war shortly :blink

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Without a shadow of a doubt! :)

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  5. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Bit like the war between Betamax & VHS.
    VHS won in the domestic market in the UK/USA.
    Betamax was used for most video cameras mostly for TV work etc, but now history after digital came in.

Bit like the great war between Sky & BSB.
    Anyone still have a BSB square dish?????

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

To be honest, I'm a little sceptical as to whether this really is the end of the war. I'll admit that things seem to be going the way of the Blue-Ray.

I dont care either way personally, I just want one to come out on top so that when I start buying high-def films, I dont have to worry that my collection is going to be dead in the water in a few years time.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I tend to care when its a format backed by Sony, they are renowned for doing nothing other than bringing out proprietary formats that they charge the world to license and use, its a shame HD DVD fell by the way side as I was rooting for it! lol

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  8. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Maybe this is why I saw Tosh HDDVD players in Tesco yesterday for 70 quid. That is very cheap considering how much they used to cost.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  9. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

Absolutely. Anything made by Sony should propose a worry to any consumer.

10. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Agreed...
    Although Blu-Ray looked better in the live head-to-head comparison, I didn't like the Sony experience with proprietary formats from past history. It's a shame HD-DVD is falling :(

11. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

well i will still be sticking with my Blue-ray player and my collection is starting to look display worthy, i bet paramount are very pleased by this decision $150 mil in the bank and soon to be shipping there blue-ray stock. Wonder if microsoft will spearhead a rebranded pink elephant they seem to have a lot to lose with this.

12. Ropenfold

Ropenfold Kilobyte Poster

Aren't most Film production companies only releasing in Blu Ray now anyway? although I'm sure they'd all make an about turn if HD-DVD made a dramatic comeback!

Certifications: BSC (Hons), A+, MCDST, N+, 70-270, 98-364, CLF-C01
    WIP: ISC2 CC, Security+
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Agreed. Next thing you know, you'll have rootkits on your Blu-Ray player, which will, in all probability, spontaneously combust. :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

What you do is go and buy a cheap HD-DVD player and buy the movies at a bargain basement price.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  15. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

That would be a good idea if they were going to be producing movies in HD-DVD any more. I doubt there's enough HD-DVD movies out there to even warrant buying a player for them.

16. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

There are quite a few titles out there.

17. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I see Microsoft has announced a Blu Ray drive for the X360 now. Sucks for the folk that bought the HD-DVD drive.

I won't buy anything Blu Ray, I reiterate, physical media is on it's death bed and I just don't 'do' anything Sony.

18. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Well soon you will have to budge in your stance. The standard definition DVD market is only going to carry on for so long once the dust has finally settled.

19. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

There are lots of underhand things about this change that should of been highlighted to consumers years ago

for instance did you know HDDVD had a mandatory rule in the spec forcing the ability to make a backup/portable media copy of the disk? very cool for us, not so for the studios

The specs themselves were also far easier to work around from a development standpoint (another reason a lot of the software houses backed HD DVD not Bluray)

It's a shame its gone this way
    I hear that the sucess of the PS3 helped a lot
    I cant help but wonder how different the story would of been had MS bundled the HDDVD player in the damn 360, which has bucket loads more units out there than the PS3
    HD DVD could still come back, Tosh have said they are not dropping the format, but I guess the chances are slim

Did you know this is the first format that Sony have successfully brought to mainstream usage? neither did i :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  20. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

They should have just saved the money and bought a PS3 instead of the HDDVD Drive or an Elite

And Dell :D