It's not a problem..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Jul 8, 2006.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

It's a challenge as my school teacher used to say to me!

I was asked to swap a PC case from a broken Skyhawk (aluminium) case to a Antec case.

No problem!

or so I thought. :blink
    Here's the specs:-

Q-tec PSU 450W
    Geforce FX5600
    ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
    Seagate Barracuda 80GB IDE
    2GB Corsair Memory

Well it's the same specs but different case, the only difference is the Antec 120cm Fan that comes with the case.

After installing all the software, I find the on board sound card does not work?

Yet it worked before in the old case, I re-install nvidia N-force2 sound drivers but still nothing.

I re-install windows and audio codecs..

Still nothing! I have checked the MB for connections, they are all in the correct place and no burn marks around the MB!

Any suggestions please!

I have got until Wednesday next week, when he comes to collect it!

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Weird, anything playing up in device manager? Can the onboard sound card be disabled in the BIOS? Anything unusual in the ‘Sounds and Audio Devices’ in control panel? :blink

If you are really pushed for time you could fire in a cheap PCI card. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Sparky!

I checked in device manager, but everything looks fine, normally there's an exmanation mark ! shown. But everything is ok?

I haven't checked the bios! Anyway when I play a cd, the bars in the graphic display on MS media player show there's sound playing! The windows menu sounds don't play either!

MMMmmm I go and take a look in the bios!

UCM :biggrin

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The usual question. Did you reinstall the motherboard drivers?

The on-board sound is one of the first things to suffer when you mess about like this.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hmmm, what software? Installing a new case does not require software?

@Harry - Installing a new case does not require MOBO drivers :blink

And just to keep it simple. Have you made absolutely sure that you have plugged the speakers into the correct socket. If it's a new case then it may have sockets on the front for USB and mic and line in/spkr etc. If you use those and they are not properly connected to the MOBO it won't work. You need to use the rear sockets and disconnect the front ones in case you have connected them to the wrong pins on the MOBO :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What kind of speakers are you using to test the sound? I don’t suppose the speakers are configured to play out a 5.1 setup and you have some basic speakers plugged in?

Also are you using some 5.1 digital speakers? The output from the on-board card is probably analogue. To eliminate all possibilities configure the speakers (from within Windows) to play out of 2 basic speakers or headphones and use the corresponding physical device.

One other test you could do is to remote desktop onto the problem PC with another PC (one that you know can play sound) and check to see if the windows sounds play ok and also try a CD. I’m not 100% sure if this test is accurate but I think it would at least test the problem PC in regard to drivers and any potential Windows problem. On remote desktop remember to select the ‘local resources’ tab and select ‘bring to this computer’

I’m sure you have already checked this but if you double click on the speaker icon in the sys tray the volume window will appear. Click on options and then advanced, tick all the volume controls and then make sure none of them are muted or at a low volume. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I know - but your previous sentence pointed out the oddity. I took this to mean that a complete re-installation had been done.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Thanks Harry!

Err.. It was just a straight swap, like Blue Rinse said I didn't need to install any software.

The sound did not work so, using Disk Image Version 5 I re-image the HD. This had the basics WIN XP, No MS office, All sound and ultilities drivers loaded.

Still no change!

I have checked the bios (thanks to Sparky for reccomendation) and yes the onboard sound card sound card is enabled!

I have re-install the Nforce2 sandstorm S/W still nothing!

UCM :(

9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

The speakers are creative desktop speakers with a green 3.5 mm jack plug!

I unplugged the lead and plugged in my headphones...Still nothing!

10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Might be a silly point, but you have turned the volume up in control panel havent you?

I know theres been a few times when I've forgotten about doing simple things like that! :oops:

11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Mmmm good point Pete.. I will take another look at the MOBO!

The case is a Antec SLK3000B Click here to see specs

There are no audio connections at the front only USB's

I am wondering if I have fried the MOBO?

I did give it a good clean out, but made sure I was wearing an antistatic strap and earth myself every 5 minutes - hence the new surprise AV picture!

12. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Hello Simon :biggrin

Yes..I made sure the volume was at the max and not on mute!

I've tried to look at this logically and run through the normal rountines as well as consulting the books! I thank you all for your suggestions.

But nothing is working....although when I installed the MOBO I had to change the Input/output plate. Maybe the MOBO is not earth properly??

UCM :hhhmmm

13. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Are you positive you are using the correct socket on the sound card? I've done that one. Thought I was plugging my speakers into the correct socket and no sound. Changed the socket I was using and Voila, sound again....

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

bit confused reading. You say the onboard sound in one post, but then refer to a *sound card* which i take to mean a PCI card.

Also, sounds daft, but are you sure the sound worked before you swopped the case :dry

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  15. Gaz 45

Gaz 45 Kilobyte Poster

What's the default playback device under Control Panel\Sounds and Audio Devices?

I used to have a problem with some USB speakers a while back.
    The default playback device was selected as the sound card but no sound played back.
    Changed it to USB speakers & sound was fine then.

Not sure if it will affect you as you're not using USB speakers, just something to check. :)
    (Sorry if you already have, couldn't tell from the posts)

I'm also inclined to agree with Freddy on the socket thing.
    I have a habit of plugging my speakers back into the wrong socket every time I disconnect them! :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCP (70-229, 70-228), MBioch
    WIP: MCDBA (70-290)
  16. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Sorry Si, I have just corrected that mistake. It's an onboard sound card . THE MOBO is ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe.

hope that clears that up :biggrin

17. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

there's only three sockets lime green - speakers
    red - microphone and a blue one ( not sure what that does?)

UCM :blink

18. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

Ok I will give the USB thing ago!

I also have an external sound card by creative I am currently hooking that up as I type! :biggrin

19. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

I had an A7N8X-X a while ago and I might be wrong here but I swear it supported 5.1 sound through the 3 jacks on the I/O panel. Normally the green jack would be line out but there was a setting in BIOS that let you enable the 5.1 and it remapped the jacks. I might be completely wrong here, just had a read of the manual and I can't see any mention of it but it might be worth checking?

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  20. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

UCHEEKYMONKEY,

Check the Antec case for any standoffs that the motherboard doesn't use. If possible, remove the standoffs. If not possible, then use some sort of insulating material between the unremovable standoff and the motherboard.

I hope this helps.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA