IT'S A SIGN!!! Cisco on 24

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Uruloke, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Uruloke

Uruloke Nibble Poster

Hey guys, I've been seriously considering doing the CCNA and then going for either CCSP or CCNP, but I must admit that, while I do take a great interest in networking and network security, I was unsure if it's what I really want to do, or if the certs are worth all the hard work time to put into it. Most if not all my concerns have been put to bed after doing some serious internet research on cisco and their certs.

Before I get to the point though, this post contains spoilers for the current season of 24, so if you didn't catch last nights episode or are waiting for the series on DVD, do NOT scroll down!!!

Now, to get to the point, I was watching '24' last night, I'm a huge fan of it, and as 'part of the plot', the terrorists make a denial of service attack on the CTU(Counter Terrorist Unit) servers, right before a nuclear missile is launched. Cisco is mentioned and how the newly installed Cisco system is self protecting so the DOS attack will not cause them much if any problems. The DOS attack actually does nothing for the plot and is just a blatant advert for Cisco.

But, having been considering a career through Cisco, I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw references to their systems on the show!! I thought to myself "It's a sign, I must do this!"

I just thought I'd share this...

Certifications: GNVQ (Going Nowhere Very Quickly!)
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I've actually used this technology at a client previously and its very cool
    its basically an IPS (Intrusion PREVENTION system) of sorts, relying on common signs and signitures to spot problems and divert them away from the apropriate servers, whilst still allowing genuine packets through, unfortunatly it costs a small fortune, as well as an ongoing subscription for support and updated sigs/definitions etc,

very powerful stuff though, sure it wont be long before we see an OSS equiv :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. Uruloke

Uruloke Nibble Poster

Cool, network security is the direction I want to go, the more I learn about it, the better! :)

Certifications: GNVQ (Going Nowhere Very Quickly!)