Itil

Discussion in 'Service Management Frameworks' started by volume, Sep 6, 2009.

1. volume

volume Nibble Poster

Not sure if this is the correct place for this type of message but can someone please explain to me was ITIL is :P and tell me about the 5 lifecycles like a 5 years old as i had no idea what wikipedia is talking about or the ITIL website

thanks n sorry :P

Certifications: 70-722, 70-721, 70-621
    WIP: 70-720, 790, 791
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

ITIL is a service management framework that was invented by people in middle management who were too stupid to understand what IT was, but wanted to be able to pretend they understood it...

No, seriously - its a way of delivering IT services that ensures they are managed correctly, meaning a company can have loads of extra staff bolted onto the IT department and surround them with ridiculous amounts of paperwork...

Let me try that again. Its a process of Change Management that allows a company to demonstrate that all changes to systems go through a torturously long process of analysis, change, signatures, counter-signatures, advisory boards...

Dammit. I'm not doing very well here am I?

:biggrin

As you'll probably have guessed by the above, I'm not exactly a fan of these sort of things, but ITIL is a service management framework. When implemented properly, it ensures your infrastructure is maintained effectively and reflexively, maintains a proper record of system problems and their solutions, and provides an agreed procedure for implementing any changes that may be service affecting.

HTH

Zeb (ITIL certified at the behest of a former employer)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Ha ha too true. ITIL is also a way for people to work in IT who can't fix anything and slow down people who can fix things, change management they call it. Its also a way to earn a lot of money as its pretty much everywhere now. The first step is to gain your ITIL Service Level Management cert

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. Johnny Napalm

Johnny Napalm Bit Poster

Hi there,

On the subject of ITIL, can anyone confirm whether the qualification needs to be renewed evry so many years or is it the case that once you have passed one of the qualifications (say the v3 Foundation), you do not have to take the exam again (i.e. a certificate for life as it were). Hope this makes sense.

Whilst I'm on this topic, I feel the need to shout out that this is the most boring topic on the face of this planet (especially the official book which has brought out suicidal tendencies in me every single time I've opened it).

Thanks,

JN

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA, MCDST