ITIL & Prince2

Discussion in 'Service Management Frameworks' started by jazzy jazz, Sep 16, 2009.

1. jazzy jazz

jazzy jazz Bit Poster

Hi there just wondering if its possible to self study both of these??

If so what books do you recommend and would i be able to take the exam with prometric.

How would i go about getting a job with these certifications

Certifications: A+, N+, S+, ITIL V3, MCDST
    WIP: 70-682
  2. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Probably but from what i understand is it costs alot

PS im from walsall/ wolverhampton

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

You can self study the ITIL v3 Foundation and take thru' ISEB or EXIN (ten quid cheaper), booking thru Prometric/Pearson (can't remember which) BUT to take any of the other ITIL V3 papers you must have completed an authorised course (can be online). See something like The Art of Service who are based in Australia (not that that matters).

In terms of PRINCE2, again you can self study the Foundation exam but you then have to sit the exam at one of the public exam sessions (usually in London). Again, I believe, to do the Practitioner you must attend an authorised course (can be online) - see something like SPOCE

You should also be aware that the PRINCE2 Foundation is just about to change so you may want to wait and complete it under the newer syllabus.

HTH :biggrin

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
    Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Hi there, for Prince2 take a look here:
    http://www.apmgroup.co.uk/PRINCE2/Qualifications/HowToStart.asp
    You can book the exam for London, Milton Keynes, York and Chester. I self studied for both exams using the Prince2 official manual and the Dummies book. The official manual can be a nightmare to read so the dummies book simplifed some areas with good examples.

For ITIL I used the Art of Service book that came with an online course, nicely laid out and easy to follow. Only took me a weeks worth of studying so I would definitely recommend it.

Cheers

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma