ITIL Foundation

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by wisdom, Jan 18, 2010.

1. wisdom

wisdom Bit Poster

Hi

I plan to do an ITIL Foundation v3 course in London. Has anyone done it and which training provider would you recommend and what was your experience with the exams at the last day? Do most training providers offer discount to those unemployed? I heard about government funding available but it is a loan.

Thanks!

Certifications: CITP, ITIL v3 Foundation
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I self-studied the ITIL v3 Foundation for a week and did the exam myself via EXIN at a Vue testing centre (I believe, it may have been a Prometric centre).

You can see my threads, here and here.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

My friend is doing some courses with IXL, I posted in another thread asking about them to make sure he didn't get ripped, but I have decided to do exactly the same courses as him, PRINCE2 Foundation and ITILv3 Foundation, The material seems really realyl dry from what I'm reading.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I did the same as Ken, self-studied. Took about 6 weeks with casual reading and note taking from the official book but passed OK.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  5. service desk

service desk New Member

Just found an ITIL Foundation program online in the Apple App Store. Runs on the iPhone and iTouch. Looks like its video based and runs about $9.99 a module

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2010
    Certifications: ITIl Foundation
    WIP: Expert
  6. wisdom

wisdom Bit Poster

Great response! :p I thought you could only do these Prince / ITIL courses through a training provider.

I found this this book at Amazon - has anyone used this? Their comments have most 5 stars rating. Was one book enough in your experience or you had to get several?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2010
  7. Kitkatninja

You can only do the foundation courses by self-study, anything higher and you have to do a course (at least for ITIL, not sure about Prince).

Didn't use that book as it was out of stock at the time I was doing the ITIL, used this one instead.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  8. wisdom

wisdom Bit Poster

Thanks, great forum! Found some old post here and very encouraging the readings. Found this for a quick mock test. Well, I failed! :ohmy but 18/40 is encouraging! :biggrin

I know this will add value to my CV because a number of jobs seen asks for ITIL.

So from my understanding, you have to pass 26/40, a 60 minutes exam with Prometric (or Pearsonvue). I will got for it!

Thanks again!

9. wisdom

wisdom Bit Poster

Got the ITIL manual. :p

Just found this on YouTube would you believe it! You can also look at other related video for ITIL.

10. Nick Jones

Nick Jones New Member

I'm fairly new to this guys, but thanks for all the info. Really interesting stuff. Can see myself being a regular visitor in here.

Nick

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2010
    Certifications: MCSA
  11. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

I am not allowed to train anything tech as i am on helpdesk and already completed desktop certs and just the 291 away from MCSA. Therefore i just put in a reques for ITIL training! this link seemed a good price so will hopefully get approved:
    Linky

12. z0nk

z0nk Bit Poster

Dont bother with a course. Save yourself some money and self study it from one of the books mentioned and maybe some video tutorials. This one on youtube was really good for me.

Certifications: A+, MCDST, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  13. Kitkatninja

However if funding gets approved and the company pays, why not? :biggrin

-Ken

14. wisdom

wisdom Bit Poster

That's the one :biggrin

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  15. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

HI(til)

Itil?
    Itil!

I applied couple of jobs the recent weeks, although i am not in the hurry, i work full time (not IT related).
    And i found many companies mention ITIL, as a requirement or at least advantage(1st line support mostly). So i done a bit of research, and i am quiet impressed. Maybe it worth the 100+books£???
    At the moment i learning the N+, which is not easy(and it is not cheap).
    And i am wondering, if i would put the intention of learning Itil foundation on my cv, maybe these applications would be more successful.
    So what do you think, is it worth it on my level(no experience, entry level Cert(s)?
    :eek:
    (well if i just think about it, i pay 120£ for a gray diary to the Unite union(yearly), that Green badge must worth a 108£???)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
    Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  16. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It's all about process and why things are done that way, I do believe it's a good idea to have an understanding of the ITIL Process but please remember it's not the be all and end all. Microsoft have their own version of this as well (MOF) but it's along the same lines.

Is it worth it for you with no experience? probably not but there again it may do you some good to understand why we do things the way we do.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  17. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

That is where i found a bit of conflict(and a catch).
    "Itil is a set of concepts and practices for managing Information Technology services, IT development and IT operations."
    Ok,
    That means i have no relevant experience with the basic parts but i already want to know how tweak the whole system.(this is the conflict.)
    The Catch:
    But the other end the Service Desk, Incident Management, Problem Management, etc,etc could compensate that huge costumer service(communication) gap i have in my cv(and the real life of course).

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  18. Denver Maxwell

Denver Maxwell Nibble Poster

I decided last night that im going to get this ITIL thingymabob done, ive seen / not applied for too many jobs recently because it was a requirement. The last big interview I had ended with the question “ So how much do you know about ITIL?” answer.... erm not a lot. Of course I have an idea of what it covers and why but I’ve not covered the course content....

Ive got time to burn so im going to nail it, or make use of the books as a sleep aid, one or the other.

Certifications: VMware VCP v5, GVF Level 3a, ITIL V3, Windows 2008 something or other...
    WIP: Prince 2? CCENT? mmm donno
  19. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

Well at least i try to read about it, in case if it comes up as an interview question.
    And if i finish the N+ maybe i jump on it as well........
    Anyway
    just got an idea, to test.
    I going to put it on my cv as personal development.
    Until now i haven`t got any feedback, let see if things improving with this little change.
    Any idea???

20. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I would leave it off your CV unless you actually KNOW ITIL, otherwise you are only going to embarrass your self either at the interview, or after they employ you when they quickly realize, you know nothing about it.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3