ITIL certs

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Colin1, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Colin1

Colin1 Byte Poster

Morning,

I was just wandering if having an ITIL cert would be worthwhile? obviously having certs is always a good thing but in the context of my future plans I wasnt sure if it was worth going for it. I am currently studying for my A+ Nd soon my N+. I have have seen a few jobs that have interested me recently and most of them are requiring exprirence in this area. Any suggestions on how an ITIL cert will improve my situation.

Cheers

C :D

Certifications: Cisco IT Essentials,
    WIP: IT degree, CIW (Web), A+, N+
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Depends on your definition of 'worthwhile'.

If you mean 'worthwhile' as in - 'useful for your CV', then yes - depending on the type of role you're going for. It will certainly be of use to you in local government, councils and anywhere else where there are ten people (badly) doing the job of one person and an equal number of people in a layer above them trying to justify their promotion to management grades despite not having any technical skill.

If you mean 'worthwhile' as in 'will it teach me anything useful', then no.

ITIL is one of those management framework things, invented by people in middle IT management to keep them in jobs. I don't need a course, certification or badge to tell me its a bad idea to reboot a production server in the middle of the day.

I had to do it at my last job with the Old Bill and it gave me the hump.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

I largely agree with zeb here. I recently passed itil and dont see much need for it for myself at my level. i was sent on it through my job and basically only cos we got a new director who's big on it (although nothing actually seems to be changing as a result)
    Alot of jobs are advertised nowadays looking for people with itil or at least itil awareness (not sure how you demonstrate that!?)

Unless I end up in middle management and need something tangible to define the untangible I'd rather do an exam that focuses on one of the technologys I use:biggrin

As a cv builder its great and I'm glad I have it but really the only things that seemed relevant to me were really obvious guidelines for running a service desk. All you really learn is how to talk the talk.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  4. Colin1

Colin1 Byte Poster

Cheers boys,

Yep I thought as much! I have read up on it briefly and it seems to me that its just another standard that is coming into force that nobaody has any say about. But i will take what you gentlemen have said on board. I am too busy a the moment anyway, trying to climb the IT ladder and the certification ladder simultaneously (is that even possible?).

Thanks again

C :biggrin

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It certainly is!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Colin1

Colin1 Byte Poster

Ahh the sweet taste of reasurance! yeah it can be done mate - Bloody hard tho!

C :blink

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If IT were easy... everyone would be doing it. The strong will survive. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

…or the ones that are too thick headed to try something else. Well it’s one or the other :biggrin