ITIL - Beyond the foundation - Self Study?

Discussion in 'Service Management Frameworks' started by ovoco5, Aug 7, 2009.

1. ovoco5

ovoco5 New Member

Hi all,

Several months back I attended an ITIL foundation course and though it was very different from what I have done before CERT wise I’m going ahead and attending another ITIL course, Service Operation.

In the long run I want to achieve ITIL expert status. In the current economic climate I’m aware that the firm I work for may not have the budget to send me on the courses.

So my question (my first of probably many on this forum) is there any self study courses out there for ITIL Service Lifecycle and Service Capability exams and if so who runs them and does any body have experience of using them.

Thanks

OvOcO5

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I have not looked into this deeply, I may do later. However since EXIN do all the exams, I can't see why there wouldn't be any :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I assume you're talking ITIL V3 ?

The exam structure is as follows :

ITILV3QUALSCHEME.gif

The main resource for questions about ITIL is at http://www.itil-officialsite.com/home/home.asp

As far as I recall to progress beyond the ITIL V3 Foundation you have to do an accredited course and not just self study (or they won't let you sit the exam). However an "accredited course" can be online so you don't have to physically go to a classroom based TP for a course.

The only one I know about is the Ozzie setup at "The Art of Service". I used their book for the Foundation which also came with free access to their online course. They have now devloped online courses for the rest of the V3 subjects.

Have a look here for some more info.

HTH

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

UKD is right:

See here, top of page 4

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

Cheers Ken, knew it was in there somewhere ! I did have an email from The Art Of Service about it too but I think I may have deleted it :rolleyes:

6. ovoco5

ovoco5 New Member

Yes they're good. I've listened to a few of there podcasts in the past and have found they make the subject much more interesting.

The Art of Service is located in Australia - though they're acredited does that mean I can take an online course with them and then take the exam in this country ? - I'll drop AOS an email and ask them.

What ever info I find out I'll post back here.

Thanks for the info everyone,

Cheers

OvOcO5

7. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

You just have to take an accredited course so, yes, they would be fine to use (and probably who I'd consider too)

8. ovoco5

ovoco5 New Member

I've dropped them an email tonight, so I'll post what feedback I get.

Thanks again.

9. somabc

somabc Bit Poster

Certifications: BSc MBCS
    WIP: MSc, PRINCE2, ITIL
  10. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

11. purana

purana Nibble Poster

So what was the feedback?

Certifications: MCTS x 6, MCITP x3, ITILv3 Foundations, LPIC-1, LPIC-2, Novel CLA, CommVault Simpana 9
    WIP: MCITP: EA, RHCE, OEL, RHCVE
  12. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Over a year old that post mate!

Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma
  13. purana

purana Nibble Poster

I know, since I can read too. Would of been nice had the person who said they would post back, actually did.

Certifications: MCTS x 6, MCITP x3, ITILv3 Foundations, LPIC-1, LPIC-2, Novel CLA, CommVault Simpana 9
    WIP: MCITP: EA, RHCE, OEL, RHCVE
  14. Bri1981

Bri1981 Byte Poster

Good for you. For your info you need to pass the foundation before you can do the other courses. The Art of service ask for a scan of your certificate\score report. If you want to do an intermediate exam then you need to have taken an accredited course, you then get a certificate showing you have completed the course incase you get audited by the body you book the exam with.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
    Certifications: See signature
    WIP: MBA entry diploma