It Wont Boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jackd, Jun 15, 2006.

1. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Right ive got a computer that will not boot. It doesnt have a operating system on it. Im booting from a Windows ME Floppy so i can format the drive. The problem is it just gets to "checking for boot device on Floppy OK then it just sits there. the same happens on a bootable cd. All bios settings are correct.

Jack

2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

How old is the computer?

If your floppy isn't bootable a computer won't boot from it. The floppy itself could be damaged. Also, if the floppy drive itself has a problem it might not boot from it.

What CD are trying to boot into?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

The CD is a win 98 SE disk. The floppy is bootable because it was created using win 98. The computer is about 2 years old

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

if its 2 years you must be able to boot from a cd no problem either that or is much more than 2 years! like harry said could be a bad floppy drive or disk...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

hope you're not accusing anyone from posting with different user accounts. :tune

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

LOL im not going to edit! sorry d just came back from the pub after the england game oh and very sorry freddy! :biggrin :beers2

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

And the *real* Harry (<giggle>) would like to point out that a bootable Win98SE CD seems to be somewhat rare. Certainly mine (a legal copy) won't.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  8. ffreeloader

Mine will, if I remember correctly, but it's been several years since I installed 98. I seem to have pretty vivid memories of booting from the cd though it is possible I'm wrong and could be confusing it with the Win2K installs I was doing around that same time. It's definitely a legit copy of 98SE though. I still have the MS booklet that came with it that has the key on the cover....

I know a Win95 cd is not bootable.

9. ffreeloader

Don't apologize to me. Apologize to Harry. He's the one that was just insulted.... :twisted: :p

10. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Well mine when i stick it into my laptop to install a virtual machine it seems to be bootable

11. ffreeloader

Mmmm... What do you mean by "it seems to be bootable"?

12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I seem to remember from the A+ OS studies that MS always said SE was bootable, whereas first ed wasn't.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  13. ffreeloader

I remember that too, but real life sometimes isn't like the A+ exam.... :biggrin I'd stick my 98 cd in and see if I could boot to it just to verify, but I can't find it. It's been too long since I used it and I now I can't remember where I put it while thinking that I better put it here so I can find it again next time I need it.... :twisted:

14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

LOL. I always thought some of the A+ stuff wasn't always close to *real* issues. Now i am in the industry, i know!
    Oh, the best place for 98 is the dustbin :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT