IT training to look after office PCs & Network

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by markd1982, Jan 7, 2011.

1. markd1982

markd1982 New Member

Hi,
    Not sure if this is the right place to be asking but would be grateful for any advice.
    I am considering looking after the Network and PCs at our offices as I am competent in looking after PCs & laptops at home and have set up home network etc. and have always been interested in pursuing IT further.
    All the signs guide me towards the CompTIA A+ and then Network+ qualifications but wanted to know if anyone could advise further, or even advise what the best avenue would be to take.
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to be asking but any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks in advance for your assistance.

Mark

2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Post approved.

A+ and N+ maybe followed by Microsoft's MCDST, is a good fundamental start.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What he said. :)

Welcome to the forums!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

Hey Mark,

Definitely worth pursuing those certifications if you are interested in getting your foot in the door. Are you privy of a future job opening in IT at your office, or are you just wanting to prepare for the possibility of doing it. It might be a good idead to talk to the IT guys at your office and express this concern. Let them know your experience and what your plans are. They might be able to give you some advice along your path, and you'll be on their radar for any opportunities that may pop up in the future. This combined with self-studying towards some certs like A+, N+, MCDST will make it obvious that you are serious about this. As you may know, most companies are known to like hiring from within, so this can all work in your favor if you play it right. Good luck and welcome. Make sure to pop over to the new member forum and introduce yourself!

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  5. markd1982

markd1982 New Member

Thanks for the advice guys.

The company I work for currently outsources it's IT support and I am hoping to train up and take over in order to a) make serious savings to the bottom line of the business b) it makes sense as I know the systems and how to work around the important bits to keep the business running.

Does the A+ include information on building systems, repairing etc?

6. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

The information in the A+ exam can give you the foundation for building/repairing a system. It provides you with the fundamentals of basic computer parts and how they work together. I don't remember it actually going step by step on how to build a system as that varies based on the parts you are getting, but you will be able to figure it out based on what you learn in the A+.

Have you told your manager about your plans/goals?

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Interesting - do you know how much your company is forking out for the support?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+