IT tech job in my old school

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jo74, Nov 11, 2009.

1. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

I've just noticed a job advert for a position as an IT tech in my old school. Although they require an experienced tech, so I'd probably be unlikely to gain the job.

But I was immediately filled with horror at imagining the sight of several of my old teachers and what if they'd remember me (mind you, a few might be dead) :biggrin And the thought of walking through those gates again. And having to interact with those teachers.

I'd have no problem with applying for a job in any other school but not that one!

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  2. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I'm actually working at my old school right now. lol. Alot of my teachers are still here as I only finished 5 years ago. It's a laugh.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  3. RonDon11

RonDon11 New Member

The up-side is if you perform poorly you can blame it on them.

4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Classic! Rep'd! :biggrin

5. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Apply anyway. I wouldn't worry now, your an adult surely? Your ex teachers are people who go out and get drunk same as you I imagine.

A School is a good place to start in I.T. but so are many business. Just don't get yourself locked away in the school world for to long if you get the job, institutionalized as such. Most places have limited professional development, little career development and full of idiots. Most times only chances you have of moving up in education as a whole is in the LA, being tuped over to a larger organization such as RM or taking a senior/network manager role.

Good luck.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.