IT support engineer interview.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Big_nath, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Hi,
    I have an interview coming up, if anyone has any tips.

The job is for an IT support engineer for a printing/publishing company. The responsibilities sound quite similar to my current job.

I have read about the company, and looked at the job spec. I have prepared myself for the standard Interview type questions. The thing that makes me nervious is i have one IT interview (for my current job), so i was hoping someone could give me an idea of some IT specific questions i might get?

Many thanks in advance.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  2. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

couple of things I normally do...

know a lot about the company as you will just about always get the "tell us what you know about our company" question. An IT Manager who was interviewing me once told me that I knew more about the company then he did and yup I got that job.

dress smart, arrive early (but not too early) and greet your interviewers in a relaxed friendly manner. First impressions count!!! Make small talk and try to be relaxed. One trick I use on myself is to pretend that the interviewer is just one of my friends and as such we often end up talking about sport or what we did on the weekend or stuff like that.

IT specific questions...who knows but they obviously liked your CV otherwise you wouldnt have an interview. If you dont know your IT stuff by now then theres not much point trying to cram it. Just be confident in what you know and dont try and b/s your way out of something you dont as you can tell that a mile away. Unless this is a contract role they are probably more interested in your fit for the team / company as, as long as you have the basic skillset for the job, they can always train you up however its harder to change a person who doesnt fit into a company.

Anyway, good luck. Just relax and you'll be fine. Let us know how you get on.

Jiggy :D

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's
  3. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Sound advise there Jiggy, now I just need an interview to use it on :(

EDIT: Rep left Jiggy, few bits on that post I can use :-)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  4. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Exactly, once you secure an interview it is down to YOU as a personality. On paper you are what they are looking for, for do you match up to the paper side of you ? :blink

Just relax, chit chat on your way to the interview room. remember, no one wants to hire some snob who can't hold a conversation and is just going to be a brick wall in the office, they want someone who fits in, and someone to can strike up a conversation out of nowhere, friendly and just generally nice to have a around.

if you're not to good at conversation, then just ask "did you have a good weekend" as you're making your way to the room. I usually reel off some story about how horrendous my weekend was, got stuck in traffic, took me four hours to get back from London or whatever I have been doing that weekend, just make it interesting.

Above post = A+ advice.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  5. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Thanks for the great advice. I got my suit out today and it has a rip, dam it! Don't have a clue how it happened. I now don't have the time or the money to buy a new one! So i have to go to the interview without a jacket, i am so mad at myself for not checking sooner.

oh well.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  6. jiggy

jiggy Nibble Poster

that is a bugger. Oh well, lesson learnt for next time then :D

Good luck

Jiggy.

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: ABC's