IT Support Analyst – Network Support (MCSE)

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by UKDarkstar, Aug 11, 2009.

1. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well, you said, "let me rephrase" as if I didn't understand what he meant. I completely understood... yet I don't think you understood what I meant.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  2. BosonMichael

1) I got humor in abundance, mate!

2) I *am* a teacher. If you don't like it, ignore me. But... I'm right.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  3. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

A wise man once said opinions are like arseholes, everyones got one.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I'll do you a solid and walk away

**Edit: I won't ignore you as you know a lot more technically than me BUT I'm not scared of anyone so if I think it am saying it

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. TTab

TTab Bit Poster

If you think 19k is bad, I've seen jobs 'requiring' both a MCSE & CCNA all for the princely salary of 16k. These companies are either going to get a braindumper, who at best will manage to keep the servers going in a threadbare manner in the short term, and a complete insecure mess in the longer term or a qualified sys admin, who will jump ship as soon as a higher paid job is found.

Certifications: MCP 70-270 MCTS 70-680
    WIP: MCSA / CCENT
  6. BosonMichael

Agree, absolutely. :)

7. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

yes i said i would re-phrase what jk2447 said, you seem to have taken offence that someone could of possibly thought you didn't understand. That was not actually the case, i was merely giving it in a slightly different angle.

So you have no problem speaking to people (who don't deserve it) with a lack of respect (who don't deserve it)?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  8. BosonMichael

But... it wasn't a different angle. It was the same thing he said. You both mistakenly believe the MCSE should mean that the employer should value the employee more (and accordingly, give them more money - after all, we are talking about the low salary offered by the company in question). Sorry, that's not the benefit of certifications.

You mistake truth for disrepect.

Let's revisit this discussion in a few years when you've got some IT experience under your belt, shall we?

EDIT: In truth, I respect you guys enough to take the time to respond. If I didn't respect you guys, I wouldn't waste my time trying to tell you guys the truth.

9. PAT

PAT Banned

that job would be perfect for me.

i'm still only on 15K with an MCSE and 3 year experience in full time IT :rolleyes:

10. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Obviously certifications are seen as more than just a validation of knowledge/working, but also as an investment as well. If somebody has spent at least £616 on obtaining an MCSE certification, plus the hours put in to study the material, people would expect to have a decent return on the time and money put into it.

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  11. TTab

TTab Bit Poster

May I ask, if that is in the private or public sector?

Certifications: MCP 70-270 MCTS 70-680
    WIP: MCSA / CCENT
  12. PAT

PAT Banned

private

13. danielno8

Yes, same thing, but from a different angle.

I won't bother getting into a discussion about the value than can be placed on having a certification.

I'm not mistaking truth for disrespect. There are ways of telling people the truth (at least ones opinion of what is the truth) and this can be done in both respectful and non respectful ways.

And i don't see why i need IT experience for this discussion either. Either way it's highly unlikely i'll be revisiting it in a fwe years.

14. BosonMichael

Because in a few years, you will have gained an understanding of how the IT business REALLY works... as well as the wisdom that comes with age.

15. BosonMichael

You do... in the form of being able to get a job that might be otherwise unavailable to you. ANY salary beats ZERO salary, dude. Is that not "return"?

I'll repeat it, guys: certification doesn't equal "mo money". Certification equals "mo betta chance to get a job". Just ask the guys who have been in IT for a while. They'll tell you the same thing.

16. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I don't really want to get into a heated discussion but I am doing it to say one thing. Based on my experience, you get paid more by having more experience. Certifications might give you a better salary in some companies, but on average an employer will pay you based on the experience... that's what I've been told by my employer. You see I could be doing the same job as 10+ year network admin, but because I don't have as much experience, he will still get paid more, regardless of whether I have the MCSE or not...

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  17. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Guys listen to what Boson is saying;

MCSE gives you the chance to get a job on better money, it however doesn't qualify you for a huge pay rise because you earned it (without your employers help) in your current job. And even then, it is the experience that will trump the certification any time

Certifications don't mean you are worth more automatically, they simply make you more eligible for the higher rungs of the IT ladder.

Put it this way, I'm vastly more qualified than the Network Manager here, yet I'll be blunt, he knows **** loads more than me and that shows in his pay packet which trumps mine by 10 grand. He is certified in XP only, had a Degree in Media Studies haha. But, he has the knowledge gained with experience.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  18. danielno8

Well i think people are misunderstanding what i am trying to say. I'm not saying if i walk in somewhere, just say i have an MCSE (or any other cert) that i will get paid a certain amount.

I am saying, the cert certifies a level of experience and skills, therefore by putting a value on YOUR cert, it is YOUR skills and experience you are putting a value on.

19. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Right, I'm going to man up and admit I've worded my post incorrectly, I should have done a better job.

I agree with what BosonMichael says above. Certification isn't a licence to print money, we all know that. Experience + Certs is the way forward.

What I meant to say is that I've spent so much money getting certified, I'm going to make sure I progress within my career, after all who in their right mind would spend hundreds if not thousands getting certified, to languish in a role where the guy next to you (with comparable experience), didn't buy the books, exam software, exam fee's, yet is on the same money as you? So basically before anyone comments, I was talking about ME, and how I value MY skills and what I'M going to do to earn back the money I've invested in my education.

Maybe my view is tinted, I've worked in IT for 10 years but only for 2 Global IT Companies, both of whom have frameworks to recognise employee's gaining qualifications which are tied into your bonus and annual rise. I understand this isn't the case everywhere so I'm lucky in that respect.

I felt I should post a thread because its starting to look like I think an MCSE will automatically get me more money. That was not my intention.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  20. BosonMichael

This, I will agree with. But might you have not gotten that role in the first place without the certification? Who cares what the mate next to you is making as long as you are making a fair wage?

Props and reps for the post, JK.