IT sites and popups

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Nov 24, 2005.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

I'm just curious about this.

How many people here have gone to IT sites that will bypass Firefox's popup blocker? And, how many of you will continue to frequent an IT site that does that?

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Neall

Neall Byte Poster

Not that i can remember. Any IT sites in particular?

I suppose it would depend on the info they were offering.

Neall

WIP: A+
  3. ffreeloader

Yeah, there is one that shall remain nameless. They also tell people that they will turn off all the advertising you see if you will only support their site.

I upped Firefox's level of popup blocking to the second level using about:config settings and that didn't even stop it. I post mainly to one forum on that site and they have some popups advertising a couple of the very poor adware/malware removal programs. You know, the ads that have the flashing graphics that say "Your PC is infected. Download this and install it".

That's about like blackmail to me. It says that if you want to post here you'll either give us money or we'll bombard you popups. Even if I was interested in the product being advertised to begin with I wouldn't buy it if the company is resorting to popups to sell their product as I regard popups as being another form of spam.

I blocked the ads using Adblock, but the popups still open every time I go to the one forum. They must do some very heavy tracking because I didn't get any popups on that site except on the forums I had posted in the most.

Seems to me that a site dedicated to computing and computer related forums would be very leery about resorting to such tactics and they have to know it really angers a lot of IT people to get that type of advertising, let alone bombard them with popups containing that junk.

4. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

i never touch those type of ads with my mouse, always use my keybord to exit them because on some of them, even if you click the exit button its all one big hotspot.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  5. ffreeloader

I suppose an unethical IT site might target Linux machines for malware, but it would pretty much be a first. If any site is capable it would be an IT related site, but even then the large majority of the surfers they get are Windows hosts.

I just can't believe an IT related site would take the risk of alienating their user base by selling that kind of advertising and in that way, but I guess it takes all kinds. Sony certainly proved business is capable of taking some mighty stupid computer-related actions.

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Grrrr I hate those things too. Uninformed visitors will click on these ads and they may then download the so-called malware removal tool only to find that it does magically display a list of alleged infections. The caveat is that you have to purchase the full product before you can remove them.

These are the unscrupulous parasites that are trying to make a buck out of the malware writers. They are just as bad as the malware problem IMHO.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

i've had a few that've sneaked through too freddy, but the ones that reallly annoy me are the " your pc is infected blah blah blah" and ones that say "squash the spider " or "shoot the duck" etc for a free ipod/tv/pc.

must confess, in my darker days of knowing zilch, i did used to click on them.

grrr! :tongue

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  8. ffreeloader

This is what makes me so angry about that crap. It's designed to take advantage of people's ignorance. I very much dislike the "users" of the world because of what they do to people, and the people who put that kind of crap on the internet are "users" of the worst kind, imo.