It security guy needs help plz !!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Biggjoe81, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Biggjoe81

Biggjoe81 Bit Poster

Hi Guys,

I am in a quandary as to which direction to go, and as usual I am sure you can offer some droplets of your wisdom as well as some experiences and knowledge to help steer me in the right direction.

I have a masters degree in IT Security, and not much experience. I was able to get secondment to the Information Security controller @ my work place for nearly a year before being made redundant. It was mainly risk assessment, risk management, It security policy administration and IT audit / ISO27001.

I have been in the unemployment market applying for It security jobs, but as you are aware it is very very difficult to get a foot in the door with just an academic qualification so I intend to go the certification way but dont know where to start.

I have thought of A+, security+, Network+, cisco security courses etc. hmmm its like a maze to me.

Does anyone have an Idea where to start? any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

Where abouts are you based, is there a particular area of Info Sec you want to get into?

And I wouldn't say you have no experience if you've done almost a year somewhere, with the sort of thing you are saying you've done I know there are jobs out there.

Get your CV up to scratch and hit some of the Infosec specific recruiters.

Sec+ wouldn't hurt and is easy enough to self study, but you just really need to apply for everything you see in the hope that you get something.

If you are wanting to go more down the technical/operations route then look at non security specific roles in those areas so that you can get a bit of experience behind you.

Biggjoe81 likes this.
  3. Biggjoe81

Biggjoe81 Bit Poster

Hi, Monkeychops, I'm based in London. Thanx for your advice.

4. Monkeychops

And what area of security do you want to be in? With a years experience I'd have thought an information security officer type role would be accessible.

5. Biggjoe81

Biggjoe81 Bit Poster

Hi, i am currently applying for Info sec roles but they seem to want CISSP etc type of qualification. Secondly I am also highly interested in techie / operations route as you mentioned. Network administration, Network security etc.

The bottom line is i don't want to remain unemployed for long so I'm prepared to go either way.

6. Monkeychops

Well if the job is asking for CISSP then they are wanting someone with a good few years experience.

Maybe look at doing the ISEB CISMP certification, it's kind of a baby CISSP and doesn't have the same entry requirements.

CISMP Info

Maybe have a crack at the sample paper (20 questions) and see how you go.

Also I'd grab the Mike Meyers Security+ book as it's pretty good and try going for the exam, will give you a taster of things and look good on the CV.

If you're interested in the techie side then start looking at infrastructure type jobs and go from there.

These won't necessarily be pure security focused roles but will give you the grounding that you'd need to move on.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  7. Biggjoe81

Biggjoe81 Bit Poster

I have had a go at the CISMP sampler questions and it was a breeze so Im looking into taking the exams which should
    be a breeze.

Then I will move on to Sec+ and continue from there.

Thanx Monkeychops, u have been amazing, thnx so much. will keep u posted on how things progresses.