IT sector recovering from the UK recession

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by stevefr, Jan 19, 2010.

1. stevefr

stevefr Bit Poster

Hi All,

Now that there has been talk on the news that the markets are getting better,

Has the IT sector started recovering from the UK recession?

And are we out of it 1st quarter of 2010?

Steve

Certifications: mcp
    WIP: mcts
  2. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

Markets are getting better - good for them. But there are too many people who are looking for work at the moment. It will need longer time to recover. Nobody knows how long.

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  3. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

we are out of the recession by 0.1 %!

4. EZE Training Instr

EZE Training Instr Bit Poster

0.1% or not we are out of it which is the main thing.

We are all responsible to drive us out of it thus creating jobs for the unemployed. For example we have taken on 2 apprentices this month alone!

Certifications: MCT, MCITP, MCTS, VCI, VCP, CCNA, CCNP
  5. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

It will take years to recover if everything goes okay, or we could never recover and just keep going into recession with no overall growth at all.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  6. Nick Jones

Nick Jones New Member

Thats the spirit. Nice and positive!!

Certifications: MCSA
  7. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

We're out when the media say we are out, when they get tired and move onto another story and then remind themselves to tell us that we are out.

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  8. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

We're nowhere near out of the recession. One quarter of ridiculously massaged figures, including the xmas period and the last couple of months of a lower VAT rate - and the ONS can still only get growth of a tenth of one percent?

Next quarter will drop back down to about 0.4% contraction - perhaps by the end of the year we'll end up in a growth quarter again, but even then it won't make a shred of difference for 'real' people, as many more companies will have gone to the wall, and those companies that do survive will continue cutting headcount (which always takes a year after an actual recession ends to start rising again anyway).

Been told that we're still under a pay freeze - and will continue to be for the next 12 months. My capex budget has been slashed again - so another 12 months of holding servers together with bits of string and sellotape.

Out of the recession? In the immortal words of Ricky Tomlinson:

"My arse!"

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  9. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Yes but that is more likely to happen, i suspect the UK economy will be stagnant for the next decade.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  10. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

what recession? I didnt notice one.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Ask Advent...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Recession is purely a political driver - takes 2 quarters to get in and 1 day to get out - yeah, bullsh*t, pull the other one.

I'm with Zeb - this is so not the end of this economic nonsense, lets talk in 18 months, then I'll say we're done.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293