IT /Project Management Certifications??

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by newuser22, Dec 19, 2010.

1. newuser22

newuser22 New Member

Hi,

I have been speaking to my bosses at work about moving/promotion in to a team leader/management role. I currently work on a service desk and have 3 yrs technical support experience in 1/2/3rd line support.

What IT Management certifications would be good helping me in my application. I am currently self-studying for the ITIL v3 foundation and am considering the Prince2 foundation as well. (I dont what to do the PMI as Prince2 is more for UK)

What other ones are out there?

Thanks

Benny.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Microsoft Project certs and Project+ are the obvious ones.

You've mentioned the other obvious ones of Prince2 and PMP.

I expect there are various other less heard of qualifications around less tied to IT to do with management.

Think Ken knows most of them...

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Any best practice methodology (ITIL, FITS, MOF) is a bonus, as well as some sort of Project Management cert.

Other options... Since you're not in team leading role yet see if your employers would support you for the NVQ in Team Leading, as that would help developing certain skills. You could also see about a couple of ILM units at your local college like: Intro to Leadership, Team Leading and/or First Line Management, for example.

Thanks mate :)

You do have your Microsoft Project certs, however they are geared up to using the Microsoft software (Project and Project Server) to support your projects, rather than teaching you how to project mange.

There's Project+, this is based on PMP/PMI - there's nothing wrong with that.

There are other's, but don't have time to list them at the moment...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. newuser22

newuser22 New Member

thanks for the replies so far

all good stuff chaps