1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IT PROFESSIONAL!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by fatp, Dec 26, 2008.

1. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

(1) How would you describe an I.T Professional?
    -> Whats words would you use to describe them / Do they have a specific background?

X amount of years industry experience? e.g. 5+ years
    Worked their way up the ladder? e.g. Helldesk to Network admin
    Managerial experience? e.g. Lead 1st line servicedesk team

I have seen a lot of people use the term 'IT PRO' on various IT forums and some of them are entry level candidates. Does this term get thrown around a lot and incorrectly used in the game....

which leads on to my second question:

(2) How would you describe a Working Professional? (not IT related) but for any industry.... :rolleyes:

Certifications: Comp Sci BSc, NVQ 2 & 3 IT Professional
    WIP: Comptia A+, Network+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Actually, the answers to questions 1 and 2 are related. In its simplest form, a "professional" is someone who works in a particular field and is good enough to get paid for it. "Information Technology" can be thought of as a field involving the use of various devices, protocols, and standards for the purposes of storage, transmission, and protection of data.

Put that together and an IT Professional is a person who works in and is paid for their services in the field of data storage, transmission, and security.

I looked up the definitions for professional and Information Technology on Google. You can use the lists of definitions to help refine the definition.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

A Professional in my mind, regardless of whether or not s/he is in IT, is described as one who:

1. Agrees to meet the "ethics of duty" or "code of conduct" for that industry.
    2. Agrees to act as a fiduciary (The fiduciary duty is a legal relationship of confidence or trust between two or more parties) where his/her self-interest is outweighed by responsibilities to those served by the profession and its public purpose. In other words a trust worthy figure.
    3. Should continue to develop either thru a formal or informal CPD process.
    4. Accepts responsibility & is accountable for actions s/he has taken or lead (eg accoutablity for his/her team under him/her).

This separates Professionals from cowboys*

Chartered Professional's, regardless of industry, have to meet the requirements of the organisation that has been granted Royal Charter by the Privy Council of UK as well as meet the t&c's of that issuing organisation.

-Ken

*not the good types on horses, but the shody "rogue trader" types

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip
  4. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Cheers for the replies guys. I wasnt lookin for a hardcore definition but just a few opinions.

I thought I would add X amount of salary to my list:

X amount of years industry experience? e.g. 5+ years
    Worked their way up the ladder? e.g. Helldesk to Network admin
    Managerial experience? e.g. Lead 1st line servicedesk team

The recognition from the CITP is also a valid accreditation for any IT Pro - Cheers Ken!

Certifications: Comp Sci BSc, NVQ 2 & 3 IT Professional
    WIP: Comptia A+, Network+
  5. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

No worries :)

I wouldn't, there is no standard salary in IT, a senior tech in one sector can be on more than an IT manager in another sector. Plus part-timers vs full timers, etc...

It is just remember that not every IT Professional meets the requirements for the CITP, however that doesn't mean that they aren't professional's - that's why organisations like the BCS, IET, etc have different grades.

-Ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip