IT Mangement certs

Discussion in 'Service Management Frameworks' started by Rob1234, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Is there any certs that are aimed at IT management roles?

Certifications: A few.
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I think it would be hard to have an 'IT Cert' for management, as management is a soft skill.

There are certainly man-management courses and suchlike that you can go on.

The kinds of Certs I would (personally) work towards to get noticed management-wise would be Prince2/PMP, Asset management courses and other management-orientated certs.

Dependent on the industry you want to manage in, Six Sigma accreditation is always well thought of but difficult to achieve.

BCS membership may also be beneficial.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Dawn is spot on... PRINCE 2 and suchlike are good forProject Management. You've also got the likes of ITIL.

Have a look on the BCS site; it gives you lots more info.

4. Rob1234

What about the project+ CompTIA does it that like an easier version of Prince2?

I done a bit about Six Sigma at uni I found it a bit boring, I will look at the BCS site and research ITIL a bit more.

Thanks

5. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Ken will have more info on the Sigma Six, but I haven't done it or Project+.

I doubt any of them is easy, to be honest.

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I've done Six Sigma and it's ok aimed at process management, I only did the Green belt cert (it's like a foundation version). It's a very good cert, imo - however while some processes are now filtering into the IT industry (as well as others, eg healthcare, business, etc) other cert/quals are now more main stream.

IT Management certs include: Prince2, ITIL and HDI Service Desk Manager. Other certs that you may wish to look into would include: Service Quality Management Advanced (SQMA.EN), ISO/IEC 20000 Foundation (IS20F.EN) & Microsoft Operations Framework Foundation (MOFF.EN).

Again, I also recommend joining a Professional body (eg BCS or IET) as they can also give you a pathway for:

1. Professional membership
    2. Chartered status
    3. ICT status (by the end of the year) with the ICTTech mark

Which will improve your CV by showing commitment to professionalism and commitment to following a professional code of conduct.

Hope this helps

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

For the academic/vocational side, I would recommend you taking a look at the follow:

1. Higher education (eg Degree's, DipHE, HND, HNC, etc) as quite a few have listed then as essential, and the higher paid ones are also asking for post-grad quals.
    2. NVQ's level 4 & 5 for Information/Communication Technology Professionals, as they reflect higher eucation quals. Level 3 is aimed more at higher end practioners/supervisors
    3. LCGI in Information Technology (which maps to level 4 of the NQF, eg HNC), provided you have 5 years of supervisory experience and a level 3 qualification. The GCGI and MCGI are if you're already in Management.

Hope this helps also

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. Rob1234

Thanks for all the info guys it was exactly what I was after :D

9. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Like mentioned, management is much more than the technical details. The soft skills needed for people interaction; the financial skills needed for budgeting; the ‘management’ skills needed for future vision & planning.

In addition to the earlier recommendations, I’d also consider, specific Executive Development programs geared towards IT-Management. These are usually delivered by reputable universities / colleges

10. classics

classics New Member

In my opinion these are the certifications that are aimed at IT management roles:

CISM and CGEIT from www.isaca.org

GSLC, GCIM, GCPM from www.giac.org

ISMCP from www.infinidox.com

Certifications: MCSE,Security+,Network+,A+,ISECP
    WIP: ISMCP,CISM
  11. marks

marks New Member

I'm also interested in some non-technical security certifications (i.e. audit, project management, etc.). Can any one advise me?

12. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Get an MBA or MSc or other postgraduate qualification. Failing that get Prince2, PMP, Project+ or Scrum master training.

You are supposed to already be in management before attempting nearly all of these qualifications. As always experience is key.

I'm not sure why people have mentioned security stuff, management is a totally seperate discipline. A good manager could possibly be totally non technical as long as he can surround himself with the right people and take good advice.

Its about people and organisation, planning and vision, bugeting and financial control, contract law, and a whole host of other stuff. Of course it helps if you have an overview of the industry, business, department that you are managing.

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Exactly this. Repped!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

Hi guys, rather than create a new thread I thought I'd resurrect this fella.

How easy is it to get the SixSigma greenbelt by self study? I do a fair bit of process documentation and reporting so I don't think i'd stuggle with the content.

Any suggestions on a good book for it and how i'd go about booking the exam (can it be done in any prometric place?)?

Thanks,
    Damo

Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design