IT Management

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by J.Hinds, Mar 23, 2015.

1. J.Hinds

J.Hinds Nibble Poster

Evening all,

I'm after a bit of advise as I have been looking into quite a few IT management positions lately (as this is the area I would one day like to move into) and it dawned on me none of them really ask for any certifications. Now I know that there are certs out there that would surely look favourable on a CV but what I can not work out is power they hold in the IT management world?

Would this be the same as any other certification in that it's not much good without the experience to back it up or do they hold more weight than their technical cousins?

The reason I am asking this is because I am intending to do a BSc in IT and Business but don't really know whether it would be wasted time and energy in terms of progressing my career or whether I should just head straight for the ITIL and Prince route..

Any help/advise you could give on the matter would be more than appreciated.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCTS (Win 7)
    WIP: MCSA (Server)
  2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

So I am a manager, I say that in an AA kind of way, until last year I was definitely a hands on techy (to be fair I still am) but was approached to take on the management of a cloud team. There were some concerns internally that I didn't have any prior IT Management experience but I have a some times cool head on my shoulders as well as a ton of experience of dealing with people.

In the time I have been working as a manager I have had a large number of issue that my HR department haven't experienced before and the general consensus is that even with no 'management' training I have coped really well.

Of course there are management course you can go on, sensitivity training, getting the best out of staff etc, my biggest thing that I learnt early on is that actually the important thing is to put your staff first, if you have a happy productive team then you're doing the job and they are delivering.

I would say that I have experienced a large number of non-technical managers and that's alright as long as they are in the kind of role that doesn't need them to know everything, it's important to realise that you have a team around you to assist and that you as the manager don't have to do all the work yourself (sign of a bad manager is one who doesn't trust his team).

With regards to both ITIL and Prince, these aren't management per se, they are frame works for Business / IT Process and Project Management and whilst I do have ITIL foundation I don't have any project management experience, it's why I have a PM working for me.

I should add that I left school at 16 with no real scholastic qualifications, I spent 10 years in the British Army and 19 years in the IT industry and as such don't have a degree, it's not holding me back, in fact I do as well as my brother who has his masters.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA