IT Management Career

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Noodlez, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Noodlez

Noodlez New Member

Hi all, I've been lurking round here for a bit so I thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm 29 years old with a HND Business IT, BA(Hons) Business Management but no practical IT experience. When I graduated about 5 years ago I got sucked into a retail sales job and more recently to an instore retail operations manager position looking after a team of 12. I'm sick and tired of dealing with rude, abusive and demanding people (anyone who has worked in retail will know how rude and arrogant the general public can be!) and would really like to get into an IT Management Role as I originally intended.

I'm a firm believer in working my way up from the bottom so I plan on the usual A+, Network+ etc and the unpaid voluntary work to gain experience but I would really appreciate any advice but especially from any IT managers out there. Thanks in advance!

WIP: A+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You're just gona love IT then! :eek:

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Welcome aboard, good luck with the A+.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF. As simon said in a roundabout way that you'll get the same in IT. Then again at times I have been accused of being one of those rude arrogant people in my youth :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

Hi there...

I'm actually the opposite to you.... in IT and looking to get into management!

Thats why i've recently passed (woohoo) my team leading certificate college course and doing an ITIL course soon.

I'd probably suggest some project management skills or qualifications as IT Managers in my experience usually have a programme of projects on the go and tend to direct the "techie's" what to do. So a good knowledge of IT is required, but probably not MCSE level.

Welcome by the way! :)

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to CF mate and thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

IMHO few IT managers know little about the technical stuff - we are light years apart! I'd ask if you want to be a techie or a suit?

8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What? I deal with rude people all day! They are called ‘end users’ !

Seriously though, best of luck with the career change. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Welcome Noodlez

I can understand where you are coming from having worked in the retail side myself!

Unfortunately you won't escape joe public in the IT world.
    Today the help desk got a call from one of our end users asking why the computer doesn't work!

When asked if the green light was on the computer or if it was a password problem the user replied, the screen is blank, there is no green light. After 10 minutes of asking questions, the answer came to us someone had switched the PC off at the mains and unplugged it!

Yes that's right unplugged, now don't you think that user would of use some common sense to see if the PC was switched on??:rolleyes:

Welcome to CF :biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Aye, I just did the ITIL foundation last week at the behest of my employer. Whilst I have absolutely no desire to go into IT management - I'm too much of a nerd :blink - I still found it useful to understand some of the concepts behind the Service Delivery methodology it employs.

Be warned though - the course is duller than dull - at a couple of points during the three days I found myself nodding off.

Also, the exam is far from a gimme - its actually pretty tough (mainly due to the ridiculous amount of acronyms you have to remember!)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em