IT magazine

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by IT2009, Nov 18, 2009.

1. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

Which magazines do you read? Some of them are so expensive and most of the content are adds!

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

MaximumPC, PCGamer, and CPU Magazine.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I stopped buying IT magazines a few years ago. Actually I very rarely buy any magazines any more. Occasionally I'll pick up a National Geographic for toilet reading. That's virtually it though.

What's the point in IT magazines any more? The cover discs either contain full software you don't want, or is really old and the rest of the disc is filled with stuff you can get in about 5 seconds online.

Actually, what is the point of magazines any more? By the time they hit the shelves they contain news that is out of date, they cost too much, they're full of ads and almost all of them have an Internet presence that replicates the hard copy stories. Failing that you can source the same stories for free virtually anywhere else.

No wonder News Corp is looking to start charging for online news content, today printed media is stricken to it's deathbed. Once E-Readers penetrate the market with a bit more vigor that will be the final nail in the coffin I think.

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  4. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

A lot of the more highly expensive ones are probably also nothing more than 'tax tricks' - they're only bought by employers, generally, for their technical staff, and can be counted as a tax-deductible item.

\cynic

I get Computer Weekly, and like reading ITNow (the BCS magazine).

Podcasts are a good way of getting your information these days - whether it be for training or just news. Give the podcasts area in iTunes a mooch and you'll be surprised at some of the gems you turn up.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  5. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I agree completely, except I use Zune Marketplace for my podcasts.

I guess to answer the original topic question completely my answer would be, no I do not read any IT magazines any more (in print form). I gather all my news/articles/misc in to GReader along with RSS feeds for podcasts. Other Audio/Video casts I use Zune Marketplace for.

Some of the Podcasts I subscribe to are:

http://www.homenetworkhelp.info
    http://itc.conversationsnetwork.org
    http://www.pauldotcom.com
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/series/techweekly

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I get the no-CD version of the magazines. :) Far cheaper that way.

For the throne, man, for the THRONE!!! :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. IT2009

IT2009 Byte Poster

Thank you for useful links, delorean.
    Might be good idea to add more links like these.

Certifications: MCP, HND Business Information Systems
    WIP: A+
  8. Miro

Miro Byte Poster

In my case the point is - my eyes are so tired of looking at the screen that sometimes I prefer to read on a paper.
    You can say that I can print it out. Yes - but that involves looking again to select what to print out.
    And I can take the magazine where I do not want necessary take my PC or Laptop.

I usualy read PC Pro.

Certifications: A+ IT Technician
    WIP: MCDST, Network+
  9. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

ROTFLMAO

I agree that the best place for them.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  10. -Mercury-

-Mercury- Byte Poster

PC PRO Magazine

Certifications: MCSA|MCDST|A+|Net+
    WIP: CCENT
  11. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I was looking at PC Pro, but it seems there is a lot of content on their website :)

12. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Don't forget BCS members get some discounts :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  13. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Micromart, sometimes a week or so behind the latest news but great guys with useful articles for those who enjoy computers and gadgets. Buy one or two and you will wonder why you ever bothered with the pc format, pc pro etc.... :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  14. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

CustomPC, because I like reading about hardware I can't afford...

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  15. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I just remembered I used to subscribe to Computer Weekly some time ago. Not a bad read. ITNow it appears is available as a PDF so might give that a flick through at some point.

I wonder though, in the not too distant future, when printed media is a thing of the past, can you really envision sitting on the lav, 'gear out', with a Kindle (or similar device) in your hands? (Why does that sentence make the word Kindle sound so crude?).

I suppose one benefit would be that in the 'old days' if you got comfortable, opened up your literary fodder of choice and realized you made a mistake and wished you'd chosen something else from the coffee table, getting up to change material would not have been a thought that would enter any sane persons mind.

Now with an eReader you can take stacks of books and mags in with you to interchange at will! Glorious!

That said it could lead to longer periods of time spent conducting a 'Bronze Medal Ceremony' as you spend more time agonizing over the wealth of literary choice rather than focusing on 'the job at hand'.

I feel inspired to write a white paper of some sort on this. Keep an eye on my blog!