It looks as if I started something

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Nov 23, 2007.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

so I'll continue it.

Who is this most amazing American in the photo attached to this post? He won the US's highest award for bravery in battle, the Congressional Medal of Honor, yet never carried, nor fired, a weapon. He is credited with saving the lives of lives of hundreds of men. On one day alone he carried 75 wounded men off a battlefield that was swept with artillery, mortar, and machinegun fire, and lowered each of them 1 by 1 down a 400' high escarpment to safety while remaining exposed to enemy fire.

Two days later he saved 4 other men while braving a rain grenades to treat and then pull them to safety. He advanced to within 8 yards of the enemy lines during the heat of battle to reach these men.

Who is this amazing American?

Attached Files:

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

The late Desmond T Doss Senior
    When president Truman gave him the award he said it was a greater honor than being president

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. ffreeloader

Yup. The only conscientious objector to warfare to ever be honored for his exploits on a battlefield. He would not kill, but he would save lives. His story is found in the book, The Unlikeliest Hero. He was almost cashiered by his Army commander for refusing to violate his conscience and carry a weapon during his basic training. He had the courage to stand by his convictions, and the courage to save lives.

He was a most amazing man.

4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I believe he didn't carry a weapon during the entire pacific campaign
    and at one point after being injured in the legs by a grenade crawled off the stretcher and directed the medics to tend to soldier in more urgent need of care

A shining example of humanity whichever country he was from!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. ffreeloader

I agree. He truly was a hero in every meaning of the word. I've read his life's story a few times and the man was courageous in every aspect of his life.

6. ffreeloader