IT Learn easy

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Frontier, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

Hi people as I may have mentioned before I am considering training for an IT career in databases/programming with this company, the provide MCDBA/MCAD/MCSD training for £2990. I have weighed the pros and cons, done my research and received some very positive feedback from members on a differant site which I shall not name at this moment.

This is where I need advice. I have just had a look on a few jobs websites, and there seem to be a good number of jobs in this field. The only problem is that every single job asked for at least 1 years experience. How does one get a job in this field without experience?

2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Start with a look HERE Frontier.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

LOL. If I knew the answer to that, I'd have an IT job right now.... There's only a few thousand of us in the same boat, so welcome aboard.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

This question gets asked a lot around her. The typical "Catch-22" situation. The only answer is that your first job is likely not to include a lot of high prestige and high pay. Don't look to being a DBA in your first job assignment. I ended up getting experience as a freelance temp (anywhere from one day to three month job assignments). I did end up in an unlimited "temp" position at HP but it was only part-time. Finally fell into my first full-time tech job but I guess you might not even classify it as "IT" since it's technical "writing". I don't maintain a database or take care of networks or machines. I just write about them. :tongue

Wish I could paint an outline of the way to get the perfect IT job but the path is different for each person, as far as I can tell. Just keep plugging away. It'll happen.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Have you ever seen any job ad which didn't ask for experience?

It makes it much easier for the employer, less training etc. But how many experienced people are going to apply for the entry level positions? So yeah, I've got two years DBA experience, ooh look, a job for £15,000 - just what I wanted.
    No.
    Don't let that put you off applying for the job. As long as you have something to offer you stand a decent chance.

I worked in HR for a number of years. We always asked for experience, but how likely is it that you find someone who has worked with exactly the same system as you've got, with the same rules and procedures? Every new employee is a new employee.

The important things we used to look for is some kind of work experience, being part of a team, ability to solve problems etc. It sound cheesy, but I would have rather employed someone who got on well with others and worked hard than someone who was a genius with a server, but an arrogant f*** to work with.

Focus on what you HAVE got, not what you haven't.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

HR ? So you know a thing or two about recruitment then :D
    Thanks for pointing out those useful points Johnny, there are so many of us trying to get on board!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Ah yes... hiring (and firing).
    Those were the days.
    It was interesting seeing things from the other side of the desk (or comfortable, non-threatening seating area).
    Tell you what, you think you're nervous when you go for an interview?
    Spare a thought for the guy opposite you. And he has to do it all day...

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

LOL Johnny.Never thought it like that :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

Hi Johnny - very interesting that you used to work for HR. I see you have a number of high level IT certs. Would you mind if I pm you at some point for a chat about the certs? As I see you have taken the MCAD and working towards MCSD which is what I will be taking in the near future.

10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

You are always welcome.
    I'll do what I can to help!

11. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

what sort of salary should I expect for my first job when ive done these courses? would it be worth applying half way through the courses for jobs maybe? and what kind of job is it likely to be? a junior vb developer role maybe? leading to a dba?

12. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi there

We are currenlty running an ad for a trainiee programmer at £16,000. I think this is quite normal for a first foot in the door.

13. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

Sandy - Would you take someone on for that role if they came to you with the above quals with no experience?

14. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

Sorry to ask this again but in the space of time since I posted this has anyone had an experiences with them or joined them at all? and whats this about some other company claiming to be them when they visit people in their homes?