It just goes to show that you can get a good IT job without any qualifications.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by greenbrucelee, Sep 11, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Point noted, obviously I am just going from what I have been told.

There are some instances where Opterons (we are talking Barcelonas right?) shine, but there are plenty more where Xeons shine, horses for courses, the trick is to get the right horse for the course!

Yes the processing done is very memory intensive, there's a hell of a lot being done all at the same time. The guy did mention that it increases bandwidth I wanted to know how but he didn't really have time to tell me. Before the servers were running original dual core and havent been upgraded since I started here in 2000

If there were 28 pages of a newspaper to approved to the plate machines this could take around 3 minutes for all of the pages to appear in the queue. It now takes less than 30 seconds to dissapear from one box and another 15 to appear in the queue.

We now have two servers for the system instead of 5, then we have other servers for FTP etc the ISDN box has gone as this is no longer needed.

I suppose it's like everything else, one day Ati are good the next it's NIVIDA etc etc.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. greenbrucelee

Apparently everything was the same right down to same type of keyboard and mouse :D

3. Amine

Amine Byte Poster

Spot on advice as usual. Top Man! rep given

WIP: Exchange
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well... not exactly. You can't use the same motherboard for each... and thus, you may not have the same FSB, memory, etc. Change the mobo, and you've changed everything.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

lol guys, its only processors, and there not even yours :blink

WIP: LIFE
  6. greenbrucelee

Yeah lol, I'm only stating what I have done and what I have been told & experienced. :blink:D

7. BosonMichael

I understand that... but when you say that they changed the processors, but left everything else the same, it makes you sound inexperienced, like you don't know what you're talking about. And, in this case, you don't... which is why we're trying to feed you the correct information so you can learn from it... much in the same way as you try to give advice to other people who visit this forum.

Or, we can keep silent and allow you continue to state technical inaccuracies... it's your call. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. Crito

Crito Banned

Better to sound inexperienced than arrogant. :ohmy

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

My old IT Systems manager only had his NVQ's - no IT professional certs from MS, Comptia, etc... But he really knew his stuff, in fact he could run rings round anyone I knew - but he didn't as he's a nice guy.

You don't need qualifications to enter the IT profession, but it does help especially if you're up against people who have roughly the same experience as you :)

While I use to get excited with spec's and performance of the machines, it's getting kinda hard now-a-days to, expecially with all the things that you could do: Network load balancing, clustering, using blades, sans, etc... Plus Intel will bring out a chip that has this better than AMD, AMD will then bring out a chip that does that better than Intel and the cycle continues...

However saying that I'm glad that you (GBL) are getting to do the things that you want to do :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. BosonMichael

Then why do you often do so? :rolleyes:

Dude, I'm just trying to help a brother out. So kindly take your criticisms elsewhere; this doesn't concern you.

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I checked, and the original intent of this thread had something to do with experience and IT jobs. Let's keep the differences of opinion from getting personalized. This started out as a perfectly good, useful thread. I'd prefer we keep it that way.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. greenbrucelee

That was just for the test apart from the mobo (but it was a similar type), obviously when they installed the new system it was on new hardware.

Then again maybe the IT department was just lying to me, maybe the people running the tests don't know anything, Maybe I wont bother posting about whats going on.

Now yes I am inexperienced but if someone in IT and the IT engineer guy tell me they have ran tests on both Xeons and Opterons and Opterons came out on top for the test, who am I to argue. That was the results end of.

13. BosonMichael

My apologies; I was the one who originally queried.