IT Jobs in Scotland

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Alan Clinch, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Alan Clinch

Alan Clinch Bit Poster

Hi

I have been searching for an entry level IT position for a couple of months now. Up until last week I was using S1Jobs almost exclusively. What I was finding is that there where a lot of jobs but when I applied it was always local agencies and when I signed up with them I heard nothing.

I started using Jobserve after a recomendation on this site and whilst it has less jobs, they seem to be actual jobs as opposed to tools to get people to register. I have applied for 3 positions in the last week (turns out two of the positions are in fact the same) and I have two interviews arranged, in effect I have an interview for every job I have applied for.

The agencies are based in England so it is not a case of registering and hearing nothing. The interviews are with the actual companies i'll be working with (hopefully ill be working with one of them).

I know an interview is not a job but having an interview with a company is a hell of a lot closer than registering with an agency. Just thought I would pass on some advice to anyone in Scotland in the same circumstance.

Certifications: A+, DCSE
    WIP: MCSE 70-290
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Can you drive a snowplow?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Alan Clinch

Alan Clinch Bit Poster

I can drive but I dont know about a snow plow.

Certifications: A+, DCSE
    WIP: MCSE 70-290
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Alan - PM me your email address, and include the url of this thread as a reference. :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Slam

Slam Bit Poster

Where abouts are you from Alan? (Just realised it says your location in your profile DOH!) I'm in a similar position as yourself, around my area which is Wishaw btw there are very few jobs and those jobs usually require a minumum of two years experience - which eliminates my application straight away. I'm just hoping that this is a slow time for the job market and things will pick up in the new financial year.

6. Japanese Elvis

Japanese Elvis Nibble Poster

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCSA Server 2003
    WIP: Get a job?
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

The company I work for recruits on S1. Just to give you an idea of what it’s like from the other side we got over 300 applicants for the last IT support position we advertised.

S1 is great but send your C.V immediately if a job comes up that you are interested in. If you leave it too long there will be more than enough C.Vs for HR to go through so they probably won’t even bother with the rest as there just isn’t enough time. :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs