IT Job market

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by guildhall, Jun 16, 2010.

1. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

It's good to see that everyone has resolved their differences and apologised. Well the IT job market for me has always been very competitive and hard to break into even with experience and qualifications.

I got into IT just before 9/11 and was made redundant owing to the comapny feeling the economic hardship and the company has since gone under. The name of the company was MFI Ltd, dealt with furniture, kitchens etc.

Well took me closed to three years plus to land another job, but I took a job doing customer services with less pay. However, I kept on applying for IT roles I felt I was suitable for almost daily and was self studying in between and finally landed a support desktop role and now after five years thank God am doing server support and builds.

I believe in hardwork and persistency, keep looking on the bright side and keep plugging away it would pay off when you least expect. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

Thank you for stating the blatantly obvious, option 1. I went for option 2.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I probably wouldn't have to do that if you usually saw the blatantly obvious.

Don't start with me today, Daniel.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. danielno8

If you don't want me to respond to you, don't direct responses at me. Especially responses as daft as the one i quoted previously.

5. BosonMichael

You can respond to me. Just don't start trolling. If you want to troll me like you've trolled others in this thread already, please, take it to PM.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. danielno8

No trolling here. If you want to respond to me do so in PM, you know, since you decided to take issue with what i'd said.

Or if you want to take your own advice you happily dish out, "leave or press the ! button"

7. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

Calm down ladies :D

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

For crying out loud, can we just drop all this please. :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. BosonMichael

I absolutely agree.

10. adrian

adrian Nibble Poster

to get back on topic :P........When I left university (with a non IT related degree) I found there were no jobs in any industry that I could get. EVERYONE wanted at least 2 years of experiance be it IT or administration or whatever....I tried getting work in high street retail and tesco but despite the fact that I had worked for tesco for over a year before I went to uni and had several retail jobs, no one would touch me. And apparently an academic degree wasnt good enough to push paper around filing cabinates all day :P

I signed on and kept looking for work, whilst I was unemployed I gained my A+ N+ and a MCP. A year and a half later I finally landed my current job as a administrator at minimum wage working 25 hours per week. Its fairly miserable work but it pays...whilst I have been here I found out who does the companies IT (outsourced) and found they had an office just accross the road. After some talking I am now working unpaid on my fridays in their second line department to try and get some experiance, I have also ben about in their data center.

I am still looking for my first IT job but what I keep hearing is that there are on average 400 applicants for every job I go for and these are 12-14k entry level jobs.....one of them said no experiance was required and that they would train up to CCNA and other cisco/security certs - after following up my application i found out I hadnt been put forward for interview because there were alot of applicants with several years of experiance and already had CCNA's so I stood no chance against them.

Job market sucked over a year ago and it sucks now :P I cant see how it can get noticably better this year or even next.

Certifications: A+ N+
  11. danielno8

^ just out of interest, where do you live? Always worthwhile getting an idea of what it's like around the UK, as it's certainly not the same story all over.

Dan

12. adrian

adrian Nibble Poster

I live in the west midlands but unfortunatly I have been applying to jobs all over the UK as I can relocate quite happily. Iv applied for jobs in London, Leeds, Manchester, Reading, Yorkshire, Midlands, Essex, Cornwall, just about everywhere:(

Certifications: A+ N+