IT JOB INTERVIEW HELP!!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by gream0604, Jul 20, 2008.

1. gream0604

gream0604 New Member

Hey guys,

I have an interview for an IT technician at a local school on wednesday. I have no experience in working in IT, but have good knowledge of hardware etc.

I have just been sent an email stating that i have to do a tak where i have to log onto the local computer of a networked machine to retrieve a file saved on the hard drive of the machine. Would i do this by choosing (local) at the logon screen and use the username and password provided, or is there another way it should be done??

Would be great for some advice/help??

Thanks alot guys

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

They might give you log on credentials so dont stress about that. 8)

If they dont then try to log on locally with the username 'administrator' with a blank password. The amount of times I find PCs setup like that is a joke :ohmy

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I agree with Sparky! Try the using Administor as the password and leave the password blank!

But they should give you the Administrator Password after all it doesn't matter how much experience or certs you have in IT. Every system is different(or at least we would like to think so) and you can not learn this through studying.

I expect if they want you to log onto a network PC with local admin rights you will need to change the domain you logging onto. Let's say you are logging onto a MS windows PC, after you have pressed the ALT,CTRL and DEL keys, you are presented with a box asking for user name password and a drop down box showing domain name. Sometimes domain name box isn't shown and you have to select this with the options. :hhhmmm I see if I can find a screenshot of this!

Anyway when loging onto a network PC make sure you change the domain to the PC number and not the domain the school network is on! Then put in the Administrator user name and password! 8)

[​IMG]

There we go! The bottom box is usually the domain name of the network

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

by the original post sounds like all the data is saved localy so just need to logon as administrator and follow the docs and settings path to either the my docs or desktop folder first. but of course our beloved users can save stuff in the weirdest of places so dont be surprised if its not there.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Just an extra point, when using the logon to to get to the local login, this usually has the suffix "(this computer)", so say you will use that to identify the machine.

Also if you wanted to be clever you could say you would use a linux live disk (such as knoppix) which would give you access to the harddisk, I would only answer this if you could demonstrate how this works.

Good luck with the interview

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  6. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Also why would an interviewer tell the applicants what they are going to be doing?

Doesnt seem to make sense as you will not really be testing knowledge here, more who can cram lol

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
  7. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

If you can't find the file, use the search function, and enable the viewing of hidden files.

Good luck

WIP: LIFE
  8. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Good point, also when doing searching remember if they are unsure what the filename is, use any of:

*.doc will find all word documents
    *.xls will find all spreadsheets
    *.ppt will find all powerpoint
    *.txt will find all text documents

* is shift+8 btw (i know this is probably known but just felt like wearing out this keyboard a bit)

also seperate them with a ; (ie *.doc;*.xls) to search for multiple extensions