IT internships

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by nsantos, Mar 16, 2012.

1. nsantos

nsantos New Member

Hello There!

I recently did 4 Microsoft certifications (70-680, 70-640, 70-642, 70-646) and i want to get some experience since i have none.
    Do you guys reckon i can get a internship? Or should i just apply for a helpdesk job instead to start my career in IT?

thanks in advance

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

See you bothered reading Microsofts recommendations where those exams come in then :(

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. nsantos

nsantos New Member

Cheers!

4. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I think what Simon was delicately reffering too is the fact that those certifications are meant to be taken in conjunction with actually working within the environment you are taking the exam for as is clearly stated on MS's website. I cannot answer whether an internship is the way to go (I do not even know what one of those is probably some YTS thing I guess), only you can answer that based on your requirements and local area.

However as you have taken these exams its actually put you at a bit of a disadvantage (a commendable one, but one non the less), Helpdesk jobs generally require no technical knowledge at all to start with just the ability to answer a phone and run though a well trodden script. Now for example if I were a hiring manager for such a job I would be looking for someone who has a customer services background or who at least looks like they could answer a phone correctly. Seeing those certifications upon a CV I would take you as being overqualified for a job or if not, liable to get bored within 6 months of changing passwords and elevating calls to 2nd line and move, meaning I would have to start the expensive hiring process all over again! Helpdesk does tend to have a high turnover but I wouldn't want to hire someone who likely would pack their bags and go within a year on purpose.

Personally I would leave those certifications off the CV and then whip them out again if it becomes obvious that you have a root to DT support from helpdesk or similar. Also there is no direct path to the type of role that those certifications suggest, The exams do test you very well on the products but out in the wild things tend to work differently quirks emerge and all sorts of fun and games are to be had that is not described or mentioned throughout the exams. Which is why it is impossible to start anywhere but from the bottom in IT, would I as a hiring manager let someone without a few years of real world experience touch anything resembling a server NO WAY.

Well done on passing the exams but unfortuntely you are not the target audience for them so they will do nothing for your career at the moment.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  5. TheMagician

TheMagician Nibble Poster

So I take it from the above that you haven't applied to any jobs at all yet?

Why not just apply for some and see what happens?

Also the types of jobs roles where there is a requirement for MCITP certs will also expect the appropriate experience level. At least you are aiming at entry level jobs and are not one of those paper certs who thinks they can waltz into some consultant position straight out of the gates.

Certifications: MCSA 2012, MCITP: EA, SA, ITIL
  6. nsantos

nsantos New Member

well actually i did applied to a couple of entry level jobs but got no feedback at all :(

that's why i'm looking at internships where there is no experience required...problem is , the majority of internships are aimed at graduates so i feel kinda lost honestly

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You need to apply for loads of jobs mate – not just a few each time.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs