IT - Help Desk

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by UCHEEKYMONKEY, Feb 27, 2007.

1. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Do you work on a IT - Help desk?

q) If so do you try and answer the phone within 3 rings?

q) Always remain calm and collective towards the customer

q) just fob off the customer with technical jargon just to get them off the phone?

q) Do you find, the phone line goes dead as soon as you start talking in technical terms.

What is a typical day like on a IT HELP DESK?

Is it like this? - IT Help Desk Video

If you don't work on a help desk but are trying to get into the job.

q) what attracts you to the job?

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Well, howdy-doo

1) I always try to answer a phone within 3 rings, whether it's an external client or internal. This is because it's manners, and you think when you're dialling out - 3 rings usually take no more than 10 seconds. But 10 seconds of wondering why someone's not picking up your call is damn well enough :)

2) Yes. If you are reaching a point in a conversation where the end client is getting rude, or you yourself are getting abrasive, you have to have the awareness or sensiblity to dismiss yourself from that situation.

3) No. They won't have any confidence in you the next time they call you, as they wouldn't have felt that you helped them the last time. The old adage on fishing, giving people fish, or give people a fishing rod is very true with a lot of first line queries. If they haven't got any idea what you did to help them the last time they called, why should they believe that they're going to get any help in the future?

4) No. I don't talk technical to clients unless they demand it. And even then, it's watered down.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Thanks Arroryn:thumbleft

What do you think of the video?8)

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Bit Poster

1) Luckily we only have to answer calls to the engineers that ring the actual customer calls are logged via the call centre which then appear on our boards in order of priority ie 4 hours, 10 hours, 70 hours...but I dot try to answer the engineer calls asap.
    2) I do try to remain calm but as we deal with petrol forecourt staff they get irate with us because drivers have moaned at them and they just need a rant but after I say "Did that feel better?" they normally laugh and and then apologise the rest of them dont care if their site is down as they can doss for the rest of the day I guess till an engineer arrives.
    3) Sometimes I talk in simplisitc terms so I dont bore them to death, if I think they can handle it then i will.
    4) Sometimes the phone does go dead even when I mention the word "Engineer" as I guess they are so busy and unbeleivable stressed at petrol stations especially when they are on their own and have a queue outside the door luckily for me they dont stick around to chat...

Certifications: CompTIA A+, OCR Level 2
    WIP: Network+, 70-270
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Do you work on a IT - Help desk?

Use to.

q) If so do you try and answer the phone within 3 rings?

Always tried to

q) Always remain calm and collective towards the customer.

majority oif the time, however there have been instances when I just put the phone down as the client was getting very snotty. Our manager at the time would not put up with abuse in any way shape or form from clients/customers. A 6 1/2 ft ex bouncer, built like a brick, even upper management didn't argue with him

q) just fob off the customer with technical jargon just to get them off the phone?

As a joke (once you get to know the person), but generally no.

q) Do you find, the phone line goes dead as soon as you start talking in technical terms.

Only time that happened was when it was the phone system that was faulty

What is a typical day like on a IT HELP DESK?

Is it like this? - IT Help Desk Video

I wish it was like the IT Crowd (working environment), however the appreciation is was very similar. Didn't like the helpdesk part of the job, was boring.

If you don't work on a help desk but are trying to get into the job. - First large corporate IT job

q) what attracts you to the job?

It was part of the rotation, my first IT job was a combination of helpdesk, workshop tech and field engineer. We had a rota that made sure that we all had a week at a time on each "area".

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I wish it was that easy. Mildly true, but not that easy :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA