IT Headache

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by bmurray2005, Sep 6, 2006.

1. bmurray2005

bmurray2005 Bit Poster

If i need to buy a tin of beans and i dont have a lot of money, i can buy an own brand tin and still have a tin of beans, doesnt have to be heinz or hp. so does that mean if i want to do an A+ certification and network+ course it doesnt matter who i do it with as long as the final certificate is the same??

im thinking of going with ICS as they seem to be cheapest.

help me decide!!!!!

2. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Even cheaper would be to pick up the recommended A+ books (in the A+ forum ) and get stuck in at home. Maybe you can find an old pc at a flea market somewhere to pull apart too. You might want to take a look at the guide to self study in the articles section too.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  3. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Hi there, the basic answer to your question is yes, an IT cert is an IT cert - there is no CompTIA Finest A+ :wink: !

I'm sure someone will be along in a minute to discuss the benefits of self-study but as I'm with a training provider I'd feel dirty doing so.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

If you want to actually eat those beans and not just possess them, I would always recommend Heinz - they are apparently also good for your heart too and IMHO taste much better than cheaper varieties. Or am I just another sucker for a good advertising campaign :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Beans, beans good for the heart beans, beans beans make you... :D

As for the training save yourself a few thousands of pounds and go the self study route, look on amazon or ebay for second hand books if money's that tight.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  6. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Can i chuck my opinion about the beans. I can highly reccomend the ones Aldi sell you can do the pepsi challenge with me on beans and i cant tell the difference lol. Also if you people out there like kfc style chicken i can highly reccomend their southern style coated chicken too.

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  7. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Just to get the bean thing out of the way, I am currently enamoured with the sweet chilli beans that heinz do with tikka running a close second.

Coming back to the question about A+/N+ training providers tho...
    Read as much as you can about the providers you are thinking of using, if they have a website, read that and then ask them as many questions as you need to before you make a decision.

Yes, everyone is working towards the same A+/N+ qualifications but the standard of materials provided to help you learn and the level of support on offer can vary wildly. Do you need a training provider based locally where you can go and pull a few PCs apart to gain experience or are you happy with distance learning but knowing you can e-mail/talk to a tutor when you need to?

Last thing you want to do is make a decision based purely on a financial point of view, this is your future education you're talking about so make sure you do it right.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  8. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Your taste buds must be shot if you can't tell the difference between Pepsi and a tine of beans :D

Make sure you gather as much information as possible before making your decision, self study is a lot cheaper....then again it might not be your cup of tea.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  10. Urban Pauper

Urban Pauper Bit Poster

Your local college may be even cheaper and at least you'll get a qualified tutor, won't have to buy any machines to play with, unbiassed advice and as most of them are members of the Microsoft Academy you'll get a couple of shots at real and practice exams thrown in for nowt... I think they should still be enrolling... I'm starting an A+ and an MCP this week.. ended up with change out of £50.00, as i'm unemployed... pretty good deal, no?

11. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Now we have Spam, spam, beans and spam ...

Monty Ptyon

12. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Personally, I'd invest in a Sybex book and self study OR contact your local College and see if they are running a course.

Spam, spam beans and spam with extra beans

13. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Self-study is the way to go, I've never used a training company but I've heard several people complain about tutor led training. To start with it's expensive and you can certainly put that money to better use setting up a top of the range home lab which will cover your future training needs.

You have to also understand that most companies are looking to get you through the exam and nothing more. This can leave gaps in your training and you can be ill prepared when it comes to the real world.