IT graduate kindly requests advice.

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by mrsirus, Jan 19, 2013.

1. mrsirus

mrsirus New Member

Hello,
    Firstly this is my first post, i've been following this forum for a while now and i think its extremely helpful!

I have a degree in computer systems engineering and i am looking for a tech Support position as an entry job, i've been to 10 interviews in the last 9 months which i didn't get any of them due to lack of knowledge and work experience.
    I am looking for some certificates to boost my knowledge mainly in servers and my cv so i can get the initial position and go from there but this is where i need some advise.
    on the right certificates , Microsoft,CompTIA or Cisco.

Best Regards,
    George.

2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF! :)

As you've said yourself that you didn't get the roles due to lack of experience, I doubt whether a cert will help you get past this.

It may well be that you have just been unlucky, or that the roles have not been for 'beginners'. I suggest that you carry on trying - make sure that you are looking at the 'no-experience necessary" roles and maybe take a look at the CompTIA A+ material, you may not need the cert itself (up to you entirely) but it will certainly help you with what prospective employers are looking for.

Sadly, the days of walking out of Uni and into a top job are long gone. Your degree will probably not help you start at a higher level than anyone else, but may well help you progress quicker/further in the future.

HTH.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
    Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. mrsirus

mrsirus New Member

Thanks for the quick response , but maybe some cert maybe give me the advantage i need in this jobs. I mean I've done the theory of CNAA in uni but I've been told that it might make me overqualified for entry level jobs , plus the reason I am asking is because now almost every ad has cert requirements.
    thanks again.

4. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

As I said before, if you're seeing ads with cert requirements, you're looking at the wrong jobs - the cert requirements are there to make sure of the candidate's experience and aptitude. Someone with *whatever* cert but no complimentary experience will prob not even make it to the interview stage.

Ideally you should be looking at the 'graduate' jobs, as no or little experience will be expected (the pay-grade is somewhat lower also, due to this).

Either that, or as other grads have had to do, play down the degree, as this will give you a chance with the entry level jobs. Maybe just call it "Computing" and tailor your CV to align with what they are requesting - putting a huge great list of theoretical stuff down that isn't necessary for a particular role is sure to put a prospective employer off. And saying "...I've done the theory of CNAA in uni..." in a CV is a definite no-no. Not only because I presume you mean a CCNA, but also because you haven't actually done a CCNA or have the experience that would be necessary to back one up.

HTH.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
    Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...