IT Essentials, Worth Doing The A+?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Kennedy1989, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Kennedy1989

Kennedy1989 Bit Poster

Hello,

I have just completed the Cisco HP IT Essentials 1. Not that inpressive I know but its the first step.

After passing the exam I got a ticket allowing me to take the A+ test at half price, however a couple of people have told me its not worth taking as the Essentials if just as good.

Was just wondering what you guys thought?

Thanks
    Kennedy1989

Certifications: IT Essentials 1, A2 Applied ICT
    WIP: A+, N+, CCNA
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

No i say go for the A+ and dont listen to people! :biggrin Microsoft for example allow people who have both A+ and Network+ to be exempt from an elective in one of their certification programs (MCSA). Its a well known cert and still has great value even if its the simplest of certs.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for A+.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

But i just noticed you done IT essentials already? How does that work did you get a proper certificate or something? :rolleyes:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Kennedy1989

Kennedy1989 Bit Poster

Ermm yeah got a certificate saying i'll passsed and that. But i also got the ticket to take the A+ not from the outside providers from CompTIA themselves. Thinking about it I might as well as it's half price and looking at some people on this you can't have too many Quals!

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well the Cisco HP IT Essentials 1, seems to cover a lot of the stuff that is in the A+ - so doing the A+ should be a walk in the park and if it isn't, well then they didn't cover everything in as much depth as the A+ does. Either way, what have you got to lose?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Kennedy1989,

Are the "couple of people" that told you "its not worth taking" A+ certified?

Also, according to Prometric.com, to take either the 220-301: A+ CORE HARDWARE (2003 Objectives) or 220-601: CompTIA A+ Essentials 220-601 Exam, has a net price of "108.00 GBP." The net price of 108.00 GBP "... does not include applicable taxes, vouchers, promotions or membership discounts you may have." With your half price voucher, that would bring the net price down to approximately 54 GBP.

I hope this helps.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Definately worth doing the A+.

IT Essentials may be the equivalent of the A+, but the A+ is a lot better known, and besides, the more that you can have on your CV the better! 8)

9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Added to that the A+ is recognised worldwide by all types of IT jobs, not just an internal certification program.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. laup

laup Byte Poster

The path ive taken

Certiport IC3
    Course - IT Essentials 1, Exam - A+
    Course - IT Essentials 2
    Course - Microsoft 2151/2152
    Course - Microsoft 70-270, Exam - 70-270
    Exam - N+
    Course - CCNA 1/2/3/ Now on 4, Then CCNA 640-801

CCDA after

Taken me from september 06 till now to do all that

Certifications: IC3,A+, N+, 70-270, CCNA
    WIP: CCDA/Job :>
  11. Kennedy1989

Kennedy1989 Bit Poster

Thanks for the help guy's,

Laup do you think its worth taking the second IT Essentials, or just to carry on with the N+?

12. laup

laup Byte Poster

IT Essentials 2 is more linux and NOS based generally the more the merrier, some stuff in there will help u out u never know i WOULD advise doing it, shouldnt take u nomore than a week or so,
    the IT Essentials 2 when u finish. u get a voucher for 18% off the Server+ exam.

i take it your at a cisco academy.
    do u know which courses they offer at all?

13. Kennedy1989

Kennedy1989 Bit Poster

Hummm the Academy was the college I was in really and we learnt by logging onto Cisco from the college, of course I can do that at home like.

"shouldnt take u nomore than a week or so"

That the time you think I would be able to learn it? Or that something else? If so I might look into it.

Thanks again

14. laup

laup Byte Poster

If your strapped for time and like u say your doing it at home i wouldnt bother with IT Essentials 2. as you probably dont have the resources to do the labs ect.

If u think your up to it Go straight in for the CCNA like i said before semester 1 basicly covers enough for N+,
    if later on u think your gonna struggle ccna side further on down the line fall back to the N+

Just take your time and master ip address and subnetting

15. Kennedy1989

Kennedy1989 Bit Poster

Sorry for all the questions but when you say slide back to the N+ doe that mean I can take the first semester of the CCNA then move down if I wish?

Anyway I think thats a bit of topic now so i'll have a little look round the CCNA Forums, Thanks Laup

16. laup

laup Byte Poster

I mean CCNA aint for everyone, if after Semester 1 your finding it a bit hard or headache, fall back and study for N+.

Because with knowledge from semester 1 youll find N+ a breeze