IT - charges and perceptions!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by damo101, Oct 6, 2008.

1. damo101

damo101 Byte Poster

As good a place as any to post this - fairly interesting to see the costs charged and paid but the funny bits are comments; gems such as "Admin rights are never given to employees by IT staff because generally youre all morons who cant be trusted with anything more than facepaints and crayons.":eek:

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/BT-ringing--in-24m.4555793.jp

Certifications: ITIL Foundation and Practitioner (S&R)
    WIP: OU Cert in Web Design
  2. MsG

MsG Bit Poster

It all got a bit heated didn't it....

Unforunately many still view IT as a drain on finances as it always generates costs and rarely shows a generation of income.

Certifications: Birth Certificate
    WIP: CCNA
  3. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

As the saying goes, "If you're not in sales, you're overhead."

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Actually IT can often assist in revenue generation, and most top end IT deployments are revenue generators not cost centers

but as the saying goes, you gotta spend it to make it
    complex and dynamic IT systems are not cheap, and require skilled staff, of which there is a fundamental lack in the IT space

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. MsG

MsG Bit Poster

I agree, with out the websites, desktop and telephony solutions in place most companies would not be trading. But without the cross changing of this equipment and the support comes out of the IT budgets.

Certifications: Birth Certificate
    WIP: CCNA
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

That’s why flat rate charged IT support is the way forward so a customer can get unlimited calls to a helpdesk and admin requests sent through email.

Any upgrades are chargeable such as installing a new PC or anything relating to the network infrastructure.

This means that the customer can get a better understanding of how much their IT infrastructure is going to cost on a yearly basis.

Works for me! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

LOL - that thread is hilarious - from the lUsers spouting bollocks about IT being expensive without having the first clue about any of the systems they use, to the stupid bint who works for (what I assume to be) Scotland's answer to PC World offering to tout her company's services round to the Local Authority when in reality most of the people working for her mob are probably as knowledgable about IT as my mum, right the way up to the holier than thou tools who actually work in IT just using the thread as an opportunity to moan at lUsers. There's even an Apple i-Diot fanboy on there!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em