IT Certifications and The Business Card

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Veteran's son, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Hello Again:

I am wondering if I should have a business card
    made mentioning my qualifications and my IT
    certification or is the resume sufficent?

Where I am not in an IT career(yet) would the business
    card be unnecessary?

Also, if I did have a business card, how would I
    list the certification( e.g. Veteran's son, IT certification)?

Again, your help would be appreciated please! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Sounds like a good idea - I'd just watch out if you want to use logos on the card - some Cert companies - Microsoft most notably, do not allow you to use the logo in accompaniment with the relevant cert.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Personally, and this is just me, If I saw a business card off someone with their name and then a long list of certs after it I would think that they were arrogant, and just trying to flaunt what certs they had.

Just my opinion.

8)

4. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

i have always kept my certs and any relevant logos on my resume, not on the business card. but then again, when i wasn't in the infotech biz and especially when i was still looking for a job, i did not have a business card, nor did i see the need to have one. it's a bit odd to apply for a job, and then present a business card, i think.

5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Microsoft are happy for you to use your cert logos (except MOS for some reason) as long as you stick to the guidelines in the massive manual they send you.

From a business point of view, take a moment to think about what a card is for. It's not a CV, it's to provide someone with your contact details and it can look pretentious in the wrong context. I'd only consider it if you are giving your details out to lots of people and would find it more convenient to hand them a card.

If some unemployed guy came to me for a job and gave me his business card, I'd have a little chuckle. When you're looking for work, you're going to be handing out your CV with all your details anyway.

When and if you do decide on a business card, keep it simple and clean. By all means put your cert logo on it if you want, but don't overdo it.

I saw a really funny one once. It was a self employed guy who came to quote for some cableing for the network. He had an MCSE logo, an MCSA logo, and an MCP logo along with his company logo. He could barely sqeeze his name on. I actually asked him if he had considered printing them in A4 and he didn't get it (I guess that's why he works in IT and staples Cat5 cable to the floor for a living).

The point is, if you're an an MCSE it is fairly obvious that you're an MCP too. Having to point that out shows that you either don't understand how it works yourself, or you're a tw@t.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone as it is appreciated! :)
    When I am employed in the IT industry, a business card
    can be created at that time.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  7. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

In the UK it is common to see Certs on a Business Card. Under your name and any Academic qualifications. We always understate it in the UK so it would be something like below. Only ever show the highest Cert you have never everthing.

Sandy Surname Cert IT&Comp (Open) MBCS
    Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer