IT Books that you would recommend

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by JK2447, Jun 1, 2013.

1. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hi All

I figured it could be interesting to share recommendations on the best IT books we've read.

I'm currently reading "Learn Windows Powershell 3 in a month of lunches" at the moment by Don Jones and Jefferey Hicks.

Brilliant book IMHO for beginners or people looking to see what's changed since v1.0 or 2.0. The book does what it says on the tin, breaking the material into an hour or less per section. If you're looking to get into Powershell, or brushing up, I'd highly recommend this book. Microsoft are really pushing Powershell in 2012 and Windows 8 as I'm sure you all know. I did the Powershell v2.0 official MS course but still felt that I was forgetting aspects of PS that I dont use in my day to day role as a BAU Server Support person. This book has put me firmly back on track for my ambition to master all things Powershell.

Do you have any recommendations for IT books that you enjoyed so much that you would like to share with us?

Cheers
    James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Programming Pearls by Jon Bently
    Ruminations on C++: A Decade of Programming Insight and Experience by Andrew Koenig, Barbara E. Moo
    Expert One-on-One J2EE Development without EJB by Rod Johnson and Juergen Hoeller
    Programming Concurrency on the JVM: Mastering Synchronization, STM, and Actors by Subramaniam, Venkat
    Feynman Lectures On Computation by Richard P. Feynman and Anthony Hey
    The C++ Programming Language by Bjarne Stroustrup
    Algorithms in C by Robert Sedgewick
    CUDA by Example: An Introduction to General-Purpose GPU Programming by Jason Sanders

jk2447 likes this.
  3. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Your last book there Dave, what is that one about? They all sound interesting but as I read more and more about Bitcoin mining I'm getting more interested in GPU's (even though I now know ASIC replaces them)

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Amazon - CUDA by Example
    Udacity - Introduction to Parallel Programming

Helps if you know C, pretty easy to learn CUDA basics if you do.
    C++ AMP and OpenCL can also provide similar functionality, plus there are many CUDA bindings for other languages now.

ASIC's are more expensive to develop than GPGPU, they benefit from lower latency but don't necessarily have higher throughput.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
    jk2447 likes this.