IT Analyst firms - fact or fiction?

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by demarrer, Nov 12, 2008.

1. demarrer

demarrer Byte Poster

Hi,

I was just reading on computerweekly about trends for 2008 and was wanting to gauge peoples opinions on IT analyst firms that analyse current/future trends in IT.

Does anyone actually use these opinions and analysis of future trends in IT, or is it a bit like reading your horoscope? Or is the information they present good/accurate. If so, does anyone use the information to inform IT business strategies/practise?

Cheers.

Certifications: A+, Security +, CCNA, CCSA
    WIP: music, (dreaming of) CCIE Security :D
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

I tend to stay blissfully ignorant - it's much easier that way :p

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Many managers seem to use them to justify their rather poor decision making process in my experience.

They tend to be written by people who are not technologists or if they are, tend to be so far from the coal face as to be completely out of touch.

Unfortunately IT seems to have become a catch-all area for people who like to pretend they know stuff but have really just read the blaggers technology buzzword almanac.

4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Do you mean firms like Gartner?

A lot of that s*** is pathetic - companies falling over each other to get in the 'magic quadrant' or whatever bull**** methodology they come up with to determine how good a product is. I think most of the time their 'formula' for products/trends looks something like this:

Value of product = (number of freebies x beauty of company's PR staff)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em