IT agencies?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by guildhall, May 21, 2010.

1. guildhall

guildhall Bit Poster

Hi all,

After working as a 1st/2nd line analyst for 5 years I find myself back in the unemployed market. I've had loads of calls from agencies but my experience with them is not good. Is it me or is it that most agencies are rude and never call you back after an interview? I always have to chase them for feedback!

Are there any none agency IT jobs out there?

I am very depressed.....
    :(

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

why not post your cv on jobserve,monster or total jobs so employers and agencies can contatc you?

or you could simply look through the jobs on those sites, not all are through agencies.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

I would not get too worked up by agencies as they're only interested in placing you in a role and eventually getting their commission. I would look at jobsite.co.uk and write up a cover letter and your upto date CV and upload this onto the web site.

Keep positive and keep looking like it's a full time job, and eventually your break would come. Just out of curiousity if you don't hold any Comptia or Microsoft cert this time would also be good to stay plugging away at working to obtain a cert.

Best wishes:) and keep us posted.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Agencies are only in it for themselves, they are a business, the recruitment agents are after commission, the markets tough at the moment its likely if they don't think they can place you easily to earn a fast commission then they will simply overlook you.

Be proactive, ring them, ask them why the client does not want to interview you, ask them if you need to change your approach, what areas are weak, does your CV need changing, what about your dress, attitude etc.

Its a buyers market, they therefore feel no need to chase talent, they simply place the first guy they can, often irrespective if they are the 'best'.

There are non agency jobs out there, the problems are, they can be very hard to find, many employers only like to deal with one or two agents and have effectively outsourced their recruitment. The places that chose to not use recruiters tend to be more cost sensitive so while avoiding a recruiter you probably won't earn any more.

The big blue chip companies often still have a reasonable HR department and allow direct applications so you can try a mail shot or their corporate websites.

Networking tends to work best to find hidden jobs, after 5 years you should have some connections, often its not what you know, but who you know.

Try to get out the house and meet friends and enjoy your time off, use remaining time on job search and training. Don't let it get you down, being depressed will not help you land a job !

5. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

This!

I have just completely redone by CV at the request of an Agency so he can place me for a job, he called yesterday after I applied for a job on-line, asked if I could edit my CV to increase my chances, called back after I sent the first update to him, asked me to change a bit more and rang back this morning at 9am on the dot to tell me that he is going send my CV forward to them.

That is one of only two positive experiences I have had with agencies.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3