Problem Issue with deleting a file in Windows

Discussion in 'Software' started by Arroryn, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

And before anyone says anything, yes, I've Googled it.

I have a user with a file on their desktop that can't be deleted. It's not causing system issues, it's more of an irritation. And the fact I can't solve the problem is irritating me to high hell.

The user has Windows XP SP3.

The file is "blank" in terms it has a file name, but no file extension, and is 0KB in size. It has an icon, which matches the standard Windows icon for files with no existing or recognised extension type. We'll call it the f*****g file, or FF for short... :dry

If you right-click and delete, you get the standard 'cannot read from source disk' - Windows doesn't think the file is there, exists, has any right to take real estate on the desktop, etc.

I have tried browsing to the computer from my machine and deleting (in case it was a permissions issue, I'm a domain admin). Same issue.

I've tried starting in Safe Mode and deleting it. Nope.

I've tried deleting it through the command prompt - even that *knows* it's there - it names the FF in the blooming directory for Jeff's sake! But again, file not found error. Grrr.

I have also tried adding it as a malicious entity and AV scanning her PC. Not only is the PC clean as a whistle, it didn't go anywhere near the file either. Have also tried CCleaner.

So. Err... help?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

This may sound like a cheat, but have you thought about hiding the file? The file is not visible, no problem, lol

I believe that we came across this before, just trying to remember what we did... Once I remember, I'll post it here :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Kitkatninja

Have you tried this?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  4. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

I've seen it suggested a couple of times that stopping explorer.exe and deleting from cmd works (these are 0KB file with no extension).
    Worth a try since if you haven't done so already.

EDIT: Beaten to it.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  5. Arroryn

Tried the explorer.exe fix, no game, it still insists it's not there.

Also tried hiding it, but the file (which isn't read only) did not remember the setting.

ARGH!!!!!!

6. Arroryn

But thanks for the quick replies! Please oh please keep them coming!

7. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've had this before, and for the life of me I can't remember how I fixed it.

I know that isn't exactly what you might call helpful, but at least I'm making conversation... :oops:

I may have done something daft like a repair install of XP in the end.

Honestly, can't remember.

But, and here's the really irritating bit - whatever I did, it worked perfectly.

Problem solved.

At least, mine was, you've still got yours.

If I can be of any more help, just let me know.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  8. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

I've used this util in the past to get rid of problem files, and one called Dr Delete.

HTH

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  9. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

What about changing the icon to an image that's just a pixel! Then the user will never know it's there. Oh never mind the file name would still be there! Unless you can rename it to just one letter. Then there will just be a random letter and dot instead of a big icon! :)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  10. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Drop into DOS and try deleting it from there

If that doesn't work, try a file delete utility like Unlocker (can't find a link)

Failing that, boot from a Linux Live CD and delete it from there (it's probably a moody NTFS problem)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Did you reboot? :twisted:

Sorry, couldn't resist. It had to be said. :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  12. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Here's a link for unlocker. Damn good program too.

Have you tried giving the file a file extension and then trying to delete?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  13. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Moody NTFS problems could possibly be fixed with a scandisk as well...

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  14. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Can you rename the desktop folder in the users profile to say desktop.old? Then create a new folder called desktop and copy the files back into that folder minus the file that is causing the problems.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. Arroryn

I can't move, rename, hide or otherwise manipulate the file in any manner.

I have some *quality* time on the user's desktop this weekend, so will try the variety of software fixes (after dropping completely in to DOS as per Zeb).

Thanks all, tip top as always :thumbleft

And BM ... *thwack*

16. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Either boot from a Linux Live CD, or rip the drive out and hook it up to another drive as a secondary drive - if you have a drive caddy that makes it particularly easy to hook up.

Theres always the rebuild option. In the past when I have had similar issues (although that was possibly due to the suspect source of some of the files I was downloading), a boot to Safe Mode did the trick. When you tried safe mode, are you logged in as the user, or local admin?)

Finally [channels Freddy] Thats the problem with you windows techs, always pointing and clicking, pointing and click. whats with all the pointing and clicking? Why dont you install a proper OS onto it instead? Linux is taking over the desktop world - get with it![/channels]

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sorry, hippie... all the good answers had already been taken! :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Even the folder its in? gah! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  19. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Can you login to the machine as and Administrator, browse to the file location then take ownership and remove NTFS inheritence and change NTFS permissions and then delete it.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  20. Kitkatninja

I found this.

Hopefully this will do the trick :)

-Ken