Issue regarding Windows 10 Activation key

Discussion in 'Software' started by Juelz, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

I don't know whether to laugh or cry really, I did a custom install from W8.1 to W10 instead of an upgrade meaning I dont get the free upgrade key, so the copy of W10 I am currently running will eventually go "null". My 8.1 was preinstalled with my laptop so I don't have any form of media or physical key..

Is there any way around this or am I doomed?

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Normally the key is written on the laptop with a sticker, take a note of it and write it down.

You then need to get install media that matches the laptop brand.

Often this is never provided to save costs and all you get is a recovery partition.

Some places give tools to turn recovery partition back into install media.

Other places allow you to order install media for a small fee.

If you have an OEM license locked to manufacturer, you must use manufacturer media.

These are the legal approaches.

Install Ubuntu and be happy you dont have to use Windows 10 ? :)

Basically Microsoft happily wants millions of OEM licenses to disappear with the HDD, CPU, laptop, they don't want you to continue to have that license after 3-5 years which is typical lifetime. Its borderline criminal if you ask me, but that's what they do.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Nope I looked on my laptop theres no product key, I used a trick in cmd to activate 10 but removed it as didn't know it was illegal. I've heard there's away of getting the original key from the BIOS..??

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

There is not generally a 'retail key' in the BIOS, there is a windows manufacturer code, this has to match the media that that manufacturer hands out if you want to do things legally.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Locked_Pre-installation

"Some brand-name computers such as Dell, already have the SLP table in their BIOS, which means that using software readily available on the Internet, a pirated retail installation can be converted to OEM, and the appropriate certificate installed into the OS, which results in Windows becoming genuine. Pirates refer to copies of Windows activated in this way as Pirated Genuine Microsoft Software."

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Check under the battery for the product key sticker, they are not always on the exterior.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  6. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

No joy locating a key unfortunately.. Does anyone know where I can get a Windows 7 bootable USB image? I didn't like 8.1 which was my motive to upgrade but I think Im going to revert to Windows 7 tbh. Cant seem to locate a bootable image.

7. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  8. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

Retail machines with Windows 8 preinstalled don't generally have a product key sticker.

9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

No but then it's all to do with the SLP (System Locked Pre-Installation) key, however that SLP key changes when you upgrade to Windows 10 which is where the link above comes in to allow you to view that new key.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA