ISPs told to store all users' e-mails for a year

Discussion in 'News' started by Kitkatninja, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

ISPs told to store all users' e-mails for a year

The UK's internet service providers will from 15 March have to start collecting and storing details of all their customers' e-mail and other electronic communications for a year.

The measures are necessary to fulfil the terms of the European Data Retention Directive, the Home Office said today.

ISPs hope to recoup the estimated £75m cost of the scheme from the government.

Privacy advocates have called the government's proposals a massive potential invasion of privacy because theoretically the collected information will be available to some 500 central and local government bodies under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act.

Local councils have been criticised for using the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act, which was brought in to fight terrorism, for catching fly-tippers and other minor law-breakers.

Read the rest of the article here.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. Alex Wright
      Alex Wright
      Oh brother. :rolleyes:

This is yet another erosion of our civil liberties by this autocratic government.
    2. Mr.Cheeks
      Mr.Cheeks
      more sillyness!
    3. Sparky
      Sparky
      The ISPs could start selling this as an email archiving add-on to end users. :biggrin
    4. hbroomhall
      hbroomhall
      Note that what is/will be stored is a limited selection of the headers. The body is not stored.

Harry.
    5. Theprof
      Theprof
      I am sure they've been doing this even before anything was made public. It's just at some point you have to tell the users the truth.
    6. zebulebu
      zebulebu
      You couldn't possibly be insinuating that our dear ol' government has been monitoring everything via GCHQ for years now... could you? :tune