ISP email disappear?

Discussion in 'Software' started by noelg24, Mar 21, 2005.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Just before I disappear too, I want to know when u have an email address with your ISP and you cancel your service with them does that include the email address you set up with them? I dont really wana lose the email address I have with them cos a lot of people have that email....thanks guys...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. cazzam35

cazzam35 Kilobyte Poster

it normally does mean you can't use it.
    when i left home i was with ntl, and had to set up a dial up
    account through bt.

I could recieve my email through ntl but not send it, i had to use
    the bt one, or hotmail.

best of checking with your isp

Certifications: currently doing A+/MCSE
    WIP: Curr/Supervisor/Duty Mgr/Retail DIY
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Thats most likely because NTL were authenticating you by your IP address, Cazz - meaning that if you try to connect with an IP outside of their range (ie you would have a BT IP at this point), you would be refused a connection - basically it's an anti-spamming measure to prevent abuse of open relay servers.

I do agree, tho - whether or not you lose the address is entirely down to the ISP. I have often seen accounts that remain active after cancelling the service. Check with them before cancelling, Noel.

HTH :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'd imagine the short answer is "yes" if your ISP provided both Internet access and your mail server. If someone else hosted your email though, it shouldn't matter. For example, if my ISP is fred.com and I create an email account with them with the address of [email protected], then if a year later, I cancel my service with fred.com including my mail service and switch to alice.com (because she has better legs), then anyone trying to reach me at my old fred.com email addy will get a bounced message.

On the other hand, if you host your own email on a server at home, have it hosted through another company or use webmail, you are ok.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I don't see why they should. The best bet would be to ring their hotline and ask.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

they would nugget, after all, if they terminate the email and username and hold it for 6-12 months, then anyone who knew the old email ad was likely to have already emailed it and been bounced, so they can then recycle the username!

If they left it open so that you could forward the emails, or log in and access them, then they could never recycle the username! thats not cost effective for them. after all, it means more and more storage space is required!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present