Isn't it good what you can find on the net?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Feb 13, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have a lot of fiends who still live in Leeds which is where I went to uni, I used to go down regularly to see them but one in particular.

The last time I saw my friend was over two years ago now because I anted to concentrate on paying my debts, and havent spoken to him in about 6 months. I went to phone the other day and couldn't the number didn't exist anymore.

So I decided to type his name in google, the option down came up with his name, new phone number and email address. I have just finished speaking to him to arrange a weekend of madness in Leeds in the summer.

Has anyone else found the net easy in tracking someone down?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

If I was your buddy, I'd be worried about how much personal information could be found from a simple Google search. Does he have a unique name? If you type my real one into Google, it won't give you much of anything. But online names are a different story...

GBL

... depending, of course, how many places you join and whether you use the same addy. I was tracked down by my ex-fiance on MySpace, simply because he'd remembered the addy Arroryn, and it's one I'm never likely to drop.

I've never actively tried to find people on Google. I used to use it for work, when I'd get a call from a customer... I have a good head for numbers often, but I'd forget who on earth I was talking to. So I'd punch their telephone number into Google to get the company name and jog my memory :) I also use it for when I get external faxes calling my line at work. Same method - except for when I get the company name, I call them and tell them to cancel the bloody fax :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. greenbrucelee

Ha ha I'm all over the place :p

He does have a unique surname and its quite long so unless you really know how to spell it you could miss letters out.

I have tried a search for myself before using all sorts of info but couldn't get anywhere, only the GBL part of me can be found 8)

4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I'm wondering if the mods should be aware of this link found on your search result Arroryn.

Not exactly a good way to keep track of so called 'slander' now is it. post the same site to their own site, in a publicly visible manner, that can and is searched by search engine spiders. im sure that that must breach some sort of copyright laws against CF...

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Ah. i never saw that part. cool the heels mods, its not directed at us (unless you want to pursue copyright stuff, mwahahahahahaha)

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  7. greenbrucelee

8. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

http://www.repairlineltd.com/slander2.html

Seems like an awful way to keep track of their 'slander', TBH! Ah well, as long as it's still in full view of the search engines :rolleyes: :dry

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  9. greenbrucelee

Seems like Mr repair line has a long list of CCJs:lol:

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Looks like “sour grapes” to me... :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I found an ex-girlfriend on Google nearly 3yrs ago :biggrin...we got back in touch for a bit...met up a couple of times...but have lost touch again...but im not fussed anymore...if someone doesnt want u in their life anymore get the hell out!!

I did also find a very close friend of mine who I lost touch with a couple of years back...i found her on Google too and even where she works! she also studies at the university up here (the Newcastle one not the Northumbria one). I have only met up with her the once since tracking her down...her life must be really hectic cos she doesnt seem to return my calls or texts...women!! :twisted: yes I said it and i will say it again: WOMEN!!

But yeah...it is interesting what you can find on the Net these days. However, that will be the last time I look for anyone on the internet, dont care who they are or how close we were/are.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  12. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

A work colleague from about 10 years back found me again through t'internet. He googled my name and at the time I was writing online film reviews and my name cropped up as a reviewer. He contacted the administrator of the site who forwarded me his email and we got back in touch, which was great. Saying that though, it is very rare that I use my real name for anything unless I have to. As nice as it is when things like that happen, there's always the chance some fool who you want out of your life will do the same thing, or am I just being paranoid.......:eek:

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  13. greenbrucelee

Leave the birds alone they'll only bring you grief.

No you are right, you can get some mad stalker or something.

If I do a search for me on the net you can only find the greenbrucelee part not my real name, I don't officially exist it seems. 8)

14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Trust me...I have left them well alone!! Dont want anymore grief from them!! Say one thing and then they do the total opposite!!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  15. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Not all of them do Noel

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Ooooooooh, most certainly yes. My Google-fu is strong.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. greenbrucelee

you can't find me 8)

18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've already done this exercise on here before. 8)

Just ask Dawn; I've stalked her sufficiently enough. 8)

EDIT: With your first name, your location, your employer's field and your job responsibilities (all of which exist on this forum), I've got just about everything I'd need to (theoretically) track you down.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!