Isnt A+ a little expensive?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Firemouse, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Firemouse

Firemouse Bit Poster

Looked at the price awhile ago, i think the two tests it requies add up to 400 somthing bucks... wtf. This is the big reason I didnt take the exam =/

Certifications: CCNA, MCP
    WIP: CCNP
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You are correct. It is expensive... but certifications can make the difference between being noticed and not being noticed, particularly early in your career, when you have little (or no) experience. Consider it an investment in your career.

That said, I know a few people who have stopped taking CompTIA exams because of the high prices, so you're not the only one who feels that way.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. morph

morph Byte Poster

yeah i agree as well - i'm booked in for the Network + in 4 weeks - and i sort of feel the same - it comes in at about £200 which is about the same dollar wise, i keep thinking about moving the date as i cant really afford to do it again :D

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  4. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Yes I agree with you guys that the A+ is quite expensive and so is the N+ fot that matter! When you compare it price-wise to an MCP the difference is quite a lot! Having said that, I believe that the high prices reflect that kind of organisation CompTIA is - their not an IT industry like MS, Cisco or Novell where exams aren't part of the overall strategy of the company. Perhaps CompTIA charge a lot because it's exams are the main source of their income? Just a guess really!

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

It's a business and it's not exactly like there's competition to drive the prices down. There are no other organizations that offer a certification that is comperable to the A+ or N+. You can't say to CompTIA, "The A+ is too expensive. I'm going to take the XYZ company's Hardware Supreme cert exams which are just as good".

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. BosonMichael

Hmmm! :hhhmmm Hardware Supreme... that's sorta catchy! Trip, you in? We can take over the entry-level certification market! 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Tcat Houser tried but it didn't fly. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. BosonMichael

He needed more backing...

...and he needed us, right? 8)

heeheehee!

9. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Yes I agree the CompTIA exams are expensive and after paying for the A+ i'm very fortunate that my work are willing to refund the cost of the Network+ exam and study materials as part of my personal development.:biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  10. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

Yeah, I'm done with CompTIA too. I just finished the Security+, and that was $251. Luckily, I had a free voucher through Preplogic, so it was zippy to me. Now that I have their Big3, I doubt I'll entertain another. Besides, I have to get 292/296 by the end of March :eek:

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  11. certexpert

certexpert Bit Poster

The thing I cannot accept is that CompTIA raise the price every year regardless of how bad the economy is.

12. BosonMichael

You don't work for free, and neither do they. When the cost of living goes up, their prices go up as well.

13. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

It is expensive and luckily I took the exam 2 years ago when it was less expensive, but still even then it was quite a bit especially for someone who was working part time while going to school. I think that in the end like Michael said is an investment in your career. If it costs me X amount of dollars well then be it. At least it might help me with getting an IT job one way or another and it's for life, so once you get it, it doesn't expire.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA