ISEB/BCS Software Testing: Foundation

Discussion in 'Other IT certifications' started by m3lt, Apr 24, 2009.

1. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

Greetings and assimilations! :p

I would like to ask fellow IT professionals who took the ISEB/BCS Software Testing: Foundation exam, what is it like and how sucessful can it be done without recurring to pay the exorbitating ammount of money for the accredited courses.
    Bah, it seems I always complicate things... :biggrin

To simplify:

1 - How complex is the whole exam and is it on paper or interactive version ?

2 - Is it possible with the right ammount of learning material and time, to be done self-learning ?

3 - If it cannot, which company would you recommend ?

Thanks to all the replies in advance! :iluvcf

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST/MCSE
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Learning objectives etc. can be found here.

Not my field I'm afraid but perhaps if you contacted your local BCS branch they may know of members local to you who have undertaken this exam and could pass on some hints etc (obviously without breaking NDA)

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. alicat

alicat Nibble Poster

I took the iseb Software Testing exam back in 2008, it is a multiple choice question exam, doing the exam should be fine, there are books you can buy, which is what the training courses I went to worked on. Might be good getting a current software tester to chat to you about it, or even a developer as though I got the cert, I didn't get the junior testing roles I went for.

Knowing your way through process maps, the different models of testing frameworks - the v method, and the waterfall method are pretty key.

I couldn't see why you couldn't self study, its pretty standard stuff, on the course I did, we did no practical work at all. it is quite dry, so you would have to persevere with it.

Certifications: BA, ISEB Software Testing, N+, MCP
    WIP: 70-646
  4. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

Thanks alot for the input. I am going to start working towards it from next week.

Wish me luck! :p

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST/MCSE
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Good luck for the exam, let us know how you get on :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security