1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ISDN Simulator recommendations

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Leon01, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Leon01

Leon01 New Member

Hi all!

I need some help with selecting an ISDN simulator to add to my home lab.

First off though i wondered if anyone who had taken the CCNA exam had encountered any ISDN configuration questions?

Im trying to keep cost at a minimun, this will be the last peice of kit i'll be purchasing for a while as ive found to my surprise that ISDN simulators are costly. Im not sure what i should go with as im new to ISDN, and would appreciate if someone could assist me in selecting a suitable simulator.

Below are three links for simulators i've found myself.

1. http://www.astricom.com/isdn_simulator_blinku.htm
    2. http://www.vconsole.com/client/?page=simulators&p_id=13

Would purchasing a simualtor be overkill at this stage of my study? Could i just memorise the thoery for now? and save what little cash i have. Big thank you in advance for any help given.
  2. Spice_Weasel

Spice_Weasel Kilobyte Poster

Because of the cost I did not buy an ISDN simulator for my exams. Instead I memorized as much as I could about ISDN. I studied the ISDN debugs in particular, as well as all ISDN related commands. I would practice the commands as much as possible (even though there was no BRI/PRI on my routers) to try and get the commands to become second nature.

It must have worked, as I did well on the exams, and when I first had to work on customer pri equipment it went smoothly.

Good luck on your exams!

Certifications: CCNA, CCNP, CCIP, JNCIA-ER, JNCIS-ER,MCP
  3. Leon01

Leon01 New Member

Thanks for the reply.

I think i'll try and get the CCNA exam out of the way first then consider buying an ISDN simulator. I think i'll be ready for the exam soon, will let you know how it goes.
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Would this help?