isdn lab question

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by Headache, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Two of my Routers have isdn bri s/t ports. But I don't think they are TE1s because neither has a built-in NT1. What do I need to simulate an isdn connection ? At present I'm not able to configure SPIDs. Neither am I able to set up the E1 (or T1) controller cards. (I'm not even sure I have any).

Do I need NT1s for my Routers, or failing that, a terminal adapter ? Also, what kind of cables would I need ? I wouldn't mind going the TA route, because I've already got serial cables aplenty. I'm a bit confused. Anyone got any ideas ?

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  2. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

I think I left out the most important question of all, which is, do I really need any of this stuff to pass my CCNA exam ?

3. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

*cough*

4. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

I would say that currently Cisco considers ISDN important since it is still on the exam.

However, you could just read through the ISDN chapters and concentrate on other areas of study.

If you wanted to do the ISDN lab then I think you will need a ISDN Simulator which is about 500.00 bucks. Check out Ciscokits.com (I believe is the link). They have a ISDN simulator for sale.

I have two ISDN cards if you are interested....<---shameless plug to move the unused cards ;)

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall
  5. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Thanks NetEyeBall.

Maybe I'll get a simulator later if and when I feel I really need one. Same thing with the cards. For now I'm making do with "dry runs" with just the one router to learn legacy ddr and dialer profiles. It would have been nice to have connectivity, but I guess I'll survive without it.

By the way, what happened with Surfer and his router ? Last I heard, you guys were gonna do the telnet thing.

6. NetEyeBall

NetEyeBall Kilobyte Poster

I checked it out, but I couldn't figure anything out. I figure the ports are bad. Strange that it is all of them, but who knows. The 2500 series routers are pretty old.

Certifications: CCNA, A+, N+, MCSE 4.0, CCA
    WIP: CCDA, CCNP, Cisco Firewall
  7. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Poor guy.