ISA Server 2004 on SBS 2003 Premium

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by FDMLVikram Sokhi, Nov 20, 2008.

1. FDMLVikram Sokhi

FDMLVikram Sokhi New Member

Hello Guys,

I am new to ISA Server... My company wants me to install and configure ISA Server so that we can monitor the access to internet. We have SBS 2003 DC with exchanger server. I tried to install ISA server on sbs 2003 from the cd's which came with the server. When the installation begins the first error i get is about some web certificate and when i click cancle i got msg that you can re run the setup by running CEICW wizard. and than installation of isa server start again after restarting the server when installation finish I try to run the CEICW wizard but keeps getting the same cerificate error. Second problem I face is that all the local clients lost connection with the server, so no body can excess shared drives or server.

I know that we have to create some rules but how can i create then i cant figure out from the ISA console. The only choice at that time I have to uninstall ISA server, so that clients can access server again .

Guys I am under pressure to install ISA server again, So i request you guys to help me in settng up ISA Server.

Oh My network configuration is I have 2 NIC cards one internal one external with Static IP address. and I am useing cisco 800 series router. We are useing web remote workplace and dial in vpn to sbs 2003.

Hope to hear from you guys soon. Email me at [email protected]

Many thanks

Vik

2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Well, these forums are really about people studying for certs :rolleyes:

However, if you've heard of a thing called Google you could try searching for "install ISA server on SBS".

I just did and came up with these which may help you. I'm sure you can search too :p

http://www.isaserver.org/articles/200sbsinstallpart1.html

http://download.microsoft.com/downl...51-4308-a876-e1b83ee4e77a/isainstallsteps.htm

http://search.techrepublic.com.com/...+microsoft+windows+small+business+server.html

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

No offence - but you need to get someone in who knows what they're doing. ISA is NOT something you can fiddle about with, and implementing it without a thorough understanding of what it is and does could have disastrous consequences for your network. I suggest you tell your employer that they need to hire a consultant to perform the install - or at least look at your network and write you up an installation plan.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You need to look at the reporting capabilities of ISA first before you throw it on your SBS. In some cases you may have to invest in a third party application to get the reporting you need.

As Zeb has already said ISA is a fairly complex product and if configured incorrectly can cause major downtime for your network.

From what you are wanting to do you just need to run the proxy component of ISA as you already have a firewall however it would good to have the firewall capability of ISA running for increased security.

Getting away from ISA have you looked at the Cisco router instead? You may be able to configure content filtering on that and save yourself the grief of installing ISA. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I totally agree.

I studied ISA for a year and i can still find it's behavior baffling. It is an excellent product but definitely needs to be installed and configured by a person that knows it well.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)