ISA 2004 70-350 or take the 70-291?

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Firemouse, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Firemouse

Firemouse Bit Poster

Which one did you find more difficult? or found was harder. Ive already taken a course covering the 70-291 material, but im going to be taking an ISA course soon. I need to get at least one done so I can get my MCP. Is the 70-350 Alot harder then the average microsoft exams? Im thinking that I should just study up for the 70-350 while im taking teh course, rather then have to go back and review for the 70-291. Anyone have an opinion on either of these exams?

Certifications: CCNA, MCP
    WIP: CCNP
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I don't think either exam is good to take for your first Microsoft exam (at least, I assume it's your first, because you say you're getting your MCP certification). The ISA exam is a relatively "obscure" elective exam, and 70-291 is one of the harder exams out there - it's called "The Beast" for good reason.

I'm curious... why did you start with the 70-291 course? It's somewhat in the middle of the MCSE curriculum, nearer the end of the MCSA curriculum.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Firemouse

Firemouse Bit Poster

Ive taken 290, 294 and 284 as well. Was thinking of taking the 291 because I hear there are quite a few questions on routing/subnetting which would probably be freebees for me. Plus I think the DNS stuff could come in handy(Although some of the material in it seems useless). Could the 294 and 290 be that much easier? The 291 book is the smallest of all them!

Oh and also, I think I looked on their website before and saw that the 294 didnt count towards a MCSA which I may work forward to.

Certifications: CCNA, MCP
    WIP: CCNP
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

In that case, you don't need to get your MCP; you've already got it. You can't get multiple MCP certifications.

The 294 doesn't count towards the MCSA, but it does count towards the MCSE.

If you've taken 290, then 291 is probably the next one you should take. That said, don't let the size of the study guide fool you... 70-291 is nowhere near the easiest exam. In college, my Theoretical Physics textbook was probably among the smallest of the textbooks I studied. I'll let you guess where that class ranked on the difficulty scale!

The DNS knowledge required for the exam is quite useful. If you haven't figured out why, then you haven't worked in enough large environments to see its usefulness. :)

Hope this helps. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I didn't find any of the areas that the 291 covers useless, would you care to elaborate on which areas you think are Firemouse?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada